Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2013, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Need Some Help with Design

I was orginally going to rebuild all their retaining walls using blocks, but they hit me with a $3500 budget to redo the concrete steps and "Improve curb appeal".

I was thinking for a lower cost solution to replace the existing wood with 6x6x8 maybe? I think all the stuff along the fence is going to come out. Theres too much junk there in my opinion

What do you guys think?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm at a lost for the area by the fence
Old 04-05-2013, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the phrase that pays is "I think your budget may be a little light for what you're hoping to accomplish."

I'm seeing a lot of timbers that look like they're not actually needed. Fix the steps, junk the bizarre art installation of random timbers, and do a great planting. But looking at how cocked the steps are leading up to the stoop I'd price that, stop, and see how much budget is left before you chase your tail any farther.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When people hit you with a low budget, did you tell them it's not possible or did you not realize how low it is? It's always best to tell the the truth from the get go, this way you're not wasting any time.

The steps are the priority. Crawl before you walk, walk before you run. I other words at this point only price the steps. Don't waste time and energy on anything else. If the steps are too high - then the other items will be a no-go.

Frankly -i see them going with poured steps. They'll get nice steps for their budget with concrete. That's the route I see them taking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't have a ton of experience in this area but here is my thought. The fence area kinda looks sunken. My thought would be to take out the timber wall on the front of the house and level it with the fence area. Then make it a bit of a hump so the plants stand out more and bed edge it so it looks crisp and clean. Also I'd round the corner so it's is not so boxy. Then for the timber box id just make it a round dome with the center being 6inches to a foot higher than the outside. Everything is so boxy looking with squared off edges. Also I'd use tall blooming plants on the fence and low green plants in the dome bed so nothing is hidden from the road. Also this would be a simple clean up in the fall with the trees. In the first pic I would keep everything except the lowest timber wall. I would use a rustic, earthy looking block wall. Maybe this http://www.unilock.com/default/produ...ls/rivercrest/ or this http://www.rootbound.com/images/Stone%20wall%202.JPG and I would use this color mulch for everything http://images.fordaq.com/p-17850000-...1-M/Mulch.jpeg Its like a maroon. Hope this gets your creative juices going. The idea I purposed should be more low cost except for that bottom wall.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dvs this is up near you're area. Do you have any masons you use for concrete?

And yes I know this budget is really low. But I figured if I could come up with something they might go for it.

Jc that's a good idea with the unilock
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
When people hit you with a low budget, did you tell them it's not possible or did you not realize how low it is? It's always best to tell the the truth from the get go, this way you're not wasting any time.

The steps are the priority. Crawl before you walk, walk before you run. I other words at this point only price the steps. Don't waste time and energy on anything else. If the steps are too high - then the other items will be a no-go.

Frankly -i see them going with poured steps. They'll get nice steps for their budget with concrete. That's the route I see them taking.
Posted via Mobile Device
They wanted poured steps. I have them a price for redoing everything in pavers and he looked like a deer in headlights lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
They wanted poured steps. I have them a price for redoing everything in pavers and he looked like a deer in headlights lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Heck ya he would. Is there something wrong with his steps? or is it just not sitting level? It just looks like its its sunk on the one side from here.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They're sunken
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
They're sunken
Posted via Mobile Device
Would he be opposed to the idea of just pulling them out and redoing the ground under them properly and putting them back in? If you go pouring new concrete its going to be years before it matches all his other concrete, if ever.