Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lifecycle of Cool Season Turf

Right about now, many areas of cool-season turf are breaking dormancy as the ground slowly thaws and warms...(not here of course)

Question:
What is actually going on with the grass, at this time???

Secondly,,, what should an LCO be doing for the grass,,, at this time???

Not what the client would like to see, or what the LCO's schedule would like to see,,, but for just a moment,,, what would be best for the plants,,, at this time???
Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do have a strategy for growing a healthier and stronger turf, that I've developed over the years, but I was curious if there were other ideas that I should consider...
I intend to say nothing about comments added to this thread,,, but am only interestted in hearing what everyone else thinks about creating the "Best Lawn Around"...
Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose with the warmer temperatures, the circulatory system of the grass is waking up and things are beginning to flow throughout the plant. If it was fertilized late in the fall as the growth was shutting down, some of those nutrients would have been stored as carbohydrates and they'll begin to flow as well, resulting in a quicker green up. For those lawns that weren't fertilized late in the fall, the plant will naturally begin to come alive on it's own, just at a slower rate. I suppose nothing NEEDS to be done at this time but a Crabgrass pre-emergent application is going to be needed soon. Combine it with a fertilizer and you'll spark growth at a faster rate.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the comment...