Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

People trying to dump their worthless accounts

Has anybody else ever had this happen before? Twice in the last week I've had 2 contractors try to unload their worthless accounts on me. I've had it happen in the past occasionally but never twice in one week. One guy had 2 $12 accounts and the other guy had 15 dirt cheap accounts. Both of them were getting out of the business and they were just trying to find another sucker to take them over. The accounts were free for the taking. I passed on all of them. I did give them my phone number and told them to tell their customers to call me individually. I explained that their prices were going to have to come up about double what they were paying.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope they are sending some good accounts your way with the bad.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

never happened to me yet. i do manage to pickup a few new accounts each year where the prior company was out of business and couldn't mow it any longer.

sometimes it's because they didn't charge enough. other times it's because they are older people in their 60's and they were already retired from another career and just did mowing for extra money but they decided to get out of the mowing business.

i don't really know any of the other lawn companies in the area. i see them drive around but i've never talked to them personally.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Has anybody else ever had this happen before? Twice in the last week I've had 2 contractors try to unload their worthless accounts on me. I've had it happen in the past occasionally but never twice in one week. One guy had 2 $12 accounts and the other guy had 15 dirt cheap accounts. Both of them were getting out of the business and they were just trying to find another sucker to take them over. The accounts were free for the taking. I passed on all of them. I did give them my phone number and told them to tell their customers to call me individually. I explained that their prices were going to have to come up about double what they were paying.
Yeah they might not have been the best accounts but you should be atleast flattered that those 2 guys thought of you. They probaly have a level of respect for you. Hopefully you do for them also? Alot of contractors don't do that often.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Im social with all of my competition. I like to bullXhit with other guys in the business.

I think there is enough work for all of us but no I dont have respect for dummys who charge $12 to mow a lawn. I would be cordial to them but the conversation would be short.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

where and when do you guys talk to other lawn care owners? i'm just curious since i hear it on here all the time. is there some sort of secret lawncare owner meeting place?

i see them at a gas station stopping to get drinks or something sometimes but i'm going through the drive thru for lunch so it's not like i can talk to them.

heck one guy mows my neighbor's yard but when i see him he's on the mower so i don't wanna go bother him while he's working.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, you are on it buddy. lawnsite.com.. lol I think every other truck on the road that i saw today was a lawn service vehicle. I talk to other lco's now and then when i'm getting gas or getting lunch too. I always run into people i've worked with from other companies in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
where and when do you guys talk to other lawn care owners? i'm just curious since i hear it on here all the time. is there some sort of secret lawncare owner meeting place?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I speak to them all if they want to talk we will. I find many of them stop at the burrito bus (taco van, two Mexicans and a truck......) about a mile from my home and the middle of my Thursday route. It seems there is always 3 or 4 crews there getting lunch. I guess its a somewhat of a secret meeting place.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that's weird man. everytime i stop somewhere i'm the only one there with a mower.

then again my whole town seems weird to me. i will see guys out mowing when it's 40 degrees or on days when the ground is soggy and wet and yet when i go to mow the next day it's 75 degrees and sunny and the ground is dry and i don't see anyone else around mowing but me. i'm like what is it with these guys? i guess they all go to the lake or something when the weather is nice and then work when it's crappy?

i swear to you i'm not making this stuff up. i'll do all my work monday-thursday and i'll hardly see that many out but on friday-sunday when i'm not working and enjoying the weekend there are lawnmowers on trailers everywhere going up and down the road. it's like everyone here has a job during the week and mows on the weekend or something???

they do everything bass ackwards.

Last edited by weeze; 04-05-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Yeah they might not have been the best accounts but you should be atleast flattered that those 2 guys thought of you. They probaly have a level of respect for you. Hopefully you do for them also? Alot of contractors don't do that often.
I wasn't rude and I did thank them. Like I said, I also gave them my name and number asked that their customers call me but be forewarned, their prices will go up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
Yeah. One guy came to my house and I saw the other guy at 4:30 in the morning at a local diner. And yes, I get up that early every day. Both guys knew who I was but I didn't know who they were. News gets around I guess.