Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone noticed their Dormant Seeding yet???

This is the longest winter I've suffered through for quite a while... the 50 yr. cycle seems to be right on schedule with April having frozen soil covered in ice and snow...
However,,, I may be able to start cleanup by the end of this week or sooner...

There is the possibility of my earlier seed(Sept./Oct.) having germinated under the snow, following the drought,, but I'm looking forward to a decent warmup this month and seeing the Dormant seeding pop...

Any reports from the warmer Zones on Dormant germination yet???
Not everyone jumped on the Pre-M bandwagon I hope...
Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No luck here, Axe. Its 42 degrees. So far the November seed is up about 3/4ths of an inch tall, which happened last fall. Seed sown Dec, Jan, Feb, and March has show no sprouts so far.

Indoors no sign of sprouts from crabgrass, at 67 degrees.

Indoors I am comparing Scotts seed with moisture retaining coating, with Pennington with no coating, but contains "Myco-advantage". The seeds and flower pots were all well-watered to start. Half of the flower pots were watered (rain water) and half were not. HOWEVER, all seed treatments germinated and tallest sprouts were between 4 tenths and 8 tenths of an inch tall at 6 days. More later.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Soil temp is at 44 degrees here, April 6.
Air temp went up to 57 today. No sign of grass sprouting outside here.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Riggle,,, you're a little further ahead on Spring than we are, but evidently not that much...
Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

One lawn I did in late Nov isn't showing good signs. Customer wanted it done. I wanted them to wait till spring .
All my other ones I did from Sept to 1st Nov are growing now and getting really dark green

Here I never like to seed after Nov. 1st if I do I never warranty them
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
One lawn I did in late Nov isn't showing good signs. Customer wanted it done. I wanted them to wait till spring .
All my other ones I did from Sept to 1st Nov are growing now and getting really dark green

Here I never like to seed after Nov. 1st if I do I never warranty them
You must have gotten lucky there with your Fall seeding... Here,,, The drought carried into the Fall so very little seeding done during Sept. and forward even came up... All of our hopes lie with the Dormant seeding...

Dormant seeding really is a Spring seeding, only through the winter the seed gets as ready to pop aseasily as the CG seed does... fortuneately the CG takes more heat...
Old 04-07-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the replies...
Old 04-09-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Temps have been in the 60's here and night-time around 45. If I don't see anything by the end of the week I am giving up on dormant seeding too much of a risk. It worked good 2 years ago when we had really warm spring. I am going to have to put down Pre-Em soon and that will stop any grass seed that hasn't germinated yet.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Frotis,,,
We only use pre-m for CG,,, basically...
How close are you to CG germination??? how long down the road is your Last App of pre-M ???

I look at it as the turf grass would be a good measurement of when the season has started and the soil would have to warmup at least 5 degrees more before it could germinate CG...

Whereas the turfgrass has bare/thin soil to absorb sunshine the CG will be forced to germinate in amongst the other grasses,,, so that 5 degree temperature rise is going to be put off even longer...

We still have snow on the ground here... Has your established grass started growing yet???
Old 04-18-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know we haven't progressed much,,, in the past 10 days, but perhaps some of the warmer areas of the cool-season turfs have seen grass seed germination...