Register free!

Old 04-25-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Finally, I have a bit of germination (1/4 inch tall at most) in my outdoor seeding from December 2012. This seed 9Scotts Perennial Rye), was planted in potting soil in containers which had drainage, and were plunged 2 inches deep into garden soil in a semi-shady location.

I also had germination from seed (Scotts Perennial Rye) which was planted in a 2 inch deep baking pan and left outside in a semi-shaded location nearby. This seed was planted on April 4, 2013. Soil temp in the pan at 1 inch deep was 52 F. The growing Degree days at Base 50 for my town were only 14.
http://www.gddtracker.net/?model=10&...et=0&zip=49548

What were the results in your town? What were the Base 50 Growing Degree Days accumulated in your town when germination occurred first occurred?
If I used Base 22 Growing Degree Days--they totaled 853 for Grand Rapids.

Average temps for the date were about a week late as compared to average years. So true, of course, I have been watching very carefully--and the new seedlings are tiny.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My slit seeding starting fill in from last fall. Rest of week Temps going stay in high 40s and low 50s at night So should going faster
2/3 of April was winter weather
My one Lawn I installed 3 weeks ago before all the rain/cold weather. Its showing green cast popping out of the straw yesterday.
With warm weather things is drying out. I can start on my hydro seed job and another new lawn this weekend and get them opened up so they will dry even faster.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So your residual Fall seed is germinating at the same pace as the stuff you planted 3 weeks ago,,, while winter was still going on in April...

So there was really no difference from seed going down whether in Fall or Spring,,, but they both came up as soon as the conditions were RIGHT...

They we seeded BEFORE the conditions were right... those who are putting down seed NOW after conditions were , right, are getting off to a late start... is that true???
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dormant seeded hybrid - KBG in DC/MD in Feb. Started seeing germination just a few days ago, but still not much due to unusually cool spring, evening lows in the mid-30s last week. With KBG or HKBG, I would not even attempt a Spring seeding, so I guess I would call it a qualified success -- I would have hoped for more establishment by now. DC/Md can be murderous as early as June, so survival is still iffy with such a late start.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
Dormant seeded hybrid - KBG in DC/MD in Feb. Started seeing germination just a few days ago, but still not much due to unusually cool spring, evening lows in the mid-30s last week. With KBG or HKBG, I would not even attempt a Spring seeding, so I guess I would call it a qualified success -- I would have hoped for more establishment by now. DC/Md can be murderous as early as June, so survival is still iffy with such a late start.
I'm glad you have germination, inspite of it being cold down there...

Perhaps Summer will also come late and our grasses get established before the heat/drought comes along... I remember 2 Summers, in which Spring lasted all the way into the Fall... Never got the winter chill out of my bones those 2 years...
Old 04-27-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
So your residual Fall seed is germinating at the same pace as the stuff you planted 3 weeks ago,,, while winter was still going on in April...Yes
Some of slit seeding didn't take. So Im going have to slit seed some again Ones didn't take are ones done after Nov 15

So there was really no difference from seed going down whether in Fall or Spring,,, but they both came up as soon as the conditions were RIGHT...My New Lawns seeding I did in fall all was up and growing in fall I don't install no lawns after Oct 15

They we seeded BEFORE the conditions were right... those who are putting down seed NOW after conditions were , right, are getting off to a late start... is that true???
The conditions we are having now should been 1st April weather. Been 10 years since we had snow in April. If fallows the cycle Its going be a wet year, No drought in my area.
I am opening the ground today on 1 new lawn and 1 repair
The repair lawn is at a Kraft Foods Plant so it has to be Hydro Seed USDA rules
Be done with them come Monday that's the plan.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes! We are breaking out the sunglasses and shorts around here. April 27th. Feels good, 72 degrees, and 77 predicted for today. I think I can hear a lawnmower!
My outdoor seed planted in a container...the tallest seedling sprout is about 3/4 in an inch tall. I have about 30 small sprouts in my one sqft pan, which was planted April 4th.
Smallaxe is right--its OK to plant grass early--it will germinate when its warm enough.
Can I treat for crabgrass in time to be effective? I hope to test this idea.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I over-seeded last fall and it's coming in great. Now the seed I put down 3 weeks ago is not even sprouting. I chose not to use starter fert and temps in Se Mich are finally warming up although the nights still dip down to mid to upper 30's. Its been also raining at least 3-4 days per week for the last 3 weeks. Hopefully it's not a total failure
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2013, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar lawn View Post
I over-seeded last fall and it's coming in great. Now the seed I put down 3 weeks ago is not even sprouting. I chose not to use starter fert and temps in Se Mich are finally warming up although the nights still dip down to mid to upper 30's. Its been also raining at least 3-4 days per week for the last 3 weeks. Hopefully it's not a total failure
Posted via Mobile Device
what did you plant?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=maynardGkeynes;4754520]what did you plant?[/QUOTE

Athletic blend from lesco. I believe it's 80% kbg and the rest is rye and fescue
Posted via Mobile Device