Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

new Hustler Raptor

just ordered the new Hustler Raptor for light residential mowing, like less than 10 hours a week. test drove it and it has plenty of speed. seems like a good buy for $2999 0% 48 months, and has a 52" welded deck and 23 hp kawi.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxnlawn View Post
just ordered the new Hustler Raptor for light residential mowing, like less than 10 hours a week. test drove it and it has plenty of speed. seems like a good buy for $2999 0% 48 months, and has a 52" welded deck and 23 hp kawi.
Congrats, maybe some pictures when you get it?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah I figured I'd put some up when it comes. It's brand new model this year so maybe ill do a review after a few weeks of use
Old 04-07-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have sold over 20 this year already, nice machine for the money! Definately buy extra spindle, and belts to keep on you, as you know that is not really designed to mow more than one yard. Spindle will be biggy for you, your dealer might not even have one in stock, so i would order atleast one to be safe. I havent fixed any yet, but im expecting too as on any mower... already got parts on the shelf for it. I have had several commercial guys arguing with me, "heck i can buy 2 or 3 for a 52" commercial mower". There is a reason they are 3 times more too... if i was your dealer i would be begging you to get the xone or atleast minimally the super duty...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah I was going to get the 48 sport with the kawi, still not commercial, but it would have been overkill for what I mow. for over $1000 less, the dealer said the differences in the sport and raptor are minimal (deck lift, standard ROPS, pulleys and hydros more heavy duty) , and I do have a wb I can use in case of trouble. I only have 10 weekly accounts ranging from 1/3 to 1/2 acre, and have 3 mowers for them
Old 04-08-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxnlawn View Post
yeah I was going to get the 48 sport with the kawi, still not commercial, but it would have been overkill for what I mow. for over $1000 less, the dealer said the differences in the sport and raptor are minimal (deck lift, standard ROPS, pulleys and hydros more heavy duty) , and I do have a wb I can use in case of trouble. I only have 10 weekly accounts ranging from 1/3 to 1/2 acre, and have 3 mowers for them
So why did you need this mower? Do you plan on operating a business long term? If so, you already made a mistake.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

At $3000.00 and you have other mowers to mowing a small amount of lawns you should be fine. If you were looking to put 700 hours a year on the machine I would think you have issues down the road. Up in Philly what do you have maybe 26 weeks of mowing? I'm not thinking the mower will last 5 years but you should get your money's worth out of it. It's costing you maybe $70.00 a month in finance. You should be able to make a profit with that machine for a while. Just watch your maintenance with oil and air filters. As you grow then you can get more commercial.

TTGS
Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Exactly! I have 1 wb and 1 waw. This will jus be used for large back yards when I don't want to walk. It will be like 5hours a week, and a 20 week season, so it will be like 100-120 hours a year. If this lasts 360 hours ill be happy..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2013, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Also- didnt want a sulky bc I've tried and my knees can't take it
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

As small as you are having a machine sit on your trailer is not that big of a deal. But as you get bigger, a machine sitting on your trailer is not making you any money. With growth focus on a machine that will be working at nearly every stop. I realize being on your own you can only work one machine at a time, but as you grow and have help look for productivity and long life.

TTGS