Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

sod estimate

how much do you guys charge to lay sod? i've got someone wanting roughly 40 rolls laid in his yard, never bid a sod job before. that little bit won't take too long, just unsure as to the going rate for sod installation. it'll have to be hand carried/wheelbarrow from the front to the back. also gonna be doing a bit of cleanup and seeding in this fellas yard
Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Sod job

Good morning,

As any job, you will need to know what you need to charge. I am mostly sure you have probably heard this before. Outside of that think about these things:

1. How much do you pay for sod if you are providing it?

2. Are you having it delivered or are you picking it up?

3. How much time do you estimate for site prep, installation and cleanup?

4. Will you have help? Sod gets heavy and aggravating after a few trips.

I am not challenging your professionalism just giving some food for thought. Depending on your companies situation you may be looking to make a 50% profit maybe more maybe less. You also will need to consider the fair market in your area. Most important, do not sell your self short and low ball. It never works out good in the end.

Have a great day and God Bless!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Our rolls are 18" X 6' or 1 sq. yd. a piece... 40 sq.yd. = 360 sq.ft or a little more than 1/3 K...

not a large area, and even with a wheelbarrow by youself you should be able to knock it off in one day,,, unless tilling w/ammendments is going to be absolutely necessary... then 2 days...
After expenses are covered you'll want to put $xxx.xx in your pocket for yourself... expenses are calculated first, then time and what you comfortable/able to stick in your pocket,,, for that time...

Each time you do a job that way,,, you are aware of how quickly you are making your money and sometimes you'll actually take the time to do an excellent job... many people are overpaid becuz they rush through it just to collect the money...
I always add the time to soak it in without walking on it and check up on it a few times after... overwatering,,, esp. in the Spring/Fall is usually compacting the soil so badly that the sod never roots well... it should never take longer than 10 days to be stuck to the ground...
Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have an idea of the time it will take to complete the job, rough idea of how much the sod cost, just wondering what a fair price is on sod installation, i've read numerous threads on here on guys estimating 8k to sod an average lawn. i can't figure up that it is going to take me anymore than a few hours to complete but then again don't want to sell myself short or rip anyone off. i'm coming at a couple hundred bucks on labor for all of it if i base it off time alone. sound right at all? i'm asking just to learn and become more competitive in estimating while also maximizing my profit
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Always go with your gut once your brain has analysed as much as it can... it is good to hear what others might do but once you make a decision and see how it turns out, is the only way you'll know, about the estimate...

Only by the end of Summer will you learn the more important lesson... was it done well???
Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I submitted the bid and landed it, so once i complete it i'll know my exact profit and use that in the future to estimate. i don't see it taking more than 4-5hrs to complete, and sticking to that i am at $50 per hour profit
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i got the job finished up, ended up nailing the bid perfectly with the time it took