Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro Seeding Pricing

Any of you guys have any experience with hydro seed or hydro mulching. Had a 17 acre clearing, grading, and seeding project come across late today that has to be in first thing in the morning. Just trying to get an idea if subing out some hydro mulching would be any cheaper then conventional seed and straw. All we have every done is the old fashion way. Just a last minute thought and figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone had any experience.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Figure out sq foot cost from your sub around here for hydro seed it is arounf $0.12 a sq foot I would think for that much area if you can get a truck in to spray would be faster and more economical to spray rather than seed and blow down straw or hay also that would be a lot of bails to bring in.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUSWEDE View Post
Figure out sq foot cost from your sub around here for hydro seed it is arounf $0.12 a sq foot I would think for that much area if you can get a truck in to spray would be faster and more economical to spray rather than seed and blow down straw or hay also that would be a lot of bails to bring in.
.12 cents that only covers the Hydro seeding and labor You still will have work the ground to get it ready for hydro seed

Faster and cheaper just do seed /straw
Hydro seeding is a cheaper then Sodding

The biggest Hydro Seeding job I have done is 5 acres My pull type Finn does 5,000sqft per tank from fill up and apply takes about 1.5 hrs per tank
My Finn Straw blower will blow 125 sq. bales per hour that's at rate of 87 bales per acre
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For a job that size I would imagine you could get someone at ten cents per ft. Hope that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes obviously we would still have the prep work but that is all work that we are capable of handeling, was just looking for opinions on hydroseeding vs conventional. That is what I was looking for .10-.12 a sqft. Conventional seeding would be way cheaper even at .10 a square.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

For 17 acres I would get a farmer to seed it, it would be like doing a hay field. The seeder just rolls it in the ground, no need to mulch it. But I don't know what it looks like or what there doing with it after.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
Any of you guys have any experience with hydro seed or hydro mulching. Had a 17 acre clearing, grading, and seeding project come across late today that has to be in first thing in the morning. Just trying to get an idea if subing out some hydro mulching would be any cheaper then conventional seed and straw. All we have every done is the old fashion way. Just a last minute thought and figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone had any experience.
You should be able to get something that large done for $.06-.08/sf if water is readily available.

I did a 40 acre job once for .06 with a 300 gal Finn and made good money despite prevailing wages.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbi View Post
You should be able to get something that large done for $.06-.08/sf if water is readily available.

I did a 40 acre job once for .06 with a 300 gal Finn and made good money despite prevailing wages.
Holy h** Did you get tired of filling that thing! Thats 600 fills!! We have a kinkaid 300gal and do 3000sgft/ tank, wow!!

we get .18/sq to hydro seed up to 5 acres, our machine is too small to do any more

we do 3 acre+ at .05/sq but we have a round bale processor that goes behind a tractor that speeds up the process
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
Holy h** Did you get tired of filling that thing! Thats 600 fills!! We have a kinkaid 300gal and do 3000sgft/ tank, wow!!

we get .18/sq to hydro seed up to 5 acres, our machine is too small to do any more

we do 3 acre+ at .05/sq but we have a round bale processor that goes behind a tractor that speeds up the process
Yes be no way I would do 40 acres with my 600gal Finn.

Yes round bale blower is nice but in open areas only.
I use mine in all are lawns. We made a adaptor to put on 50ft hose put on the discharge chute.