Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Krafty Krafty is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 670
Hydro Seeding Pricing

Any of you guys have any experience with hydro seed or hydro mulching. Had a 17 acre clearing, grading, and seeding project come across late today that has to be in first thing in the morning. Just trying to get an idea if subing out some hydro mulching would be any cheaper then conventional seed and straw. All we have every done is the old fashion way. Just a last minute thought and figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone had any experience.
__________________
www.stldumpsters.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 PM
NEUSWEDE NEUSWEDE is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,135
Figure out sq foot cost from your sub around here for hydro seed it is arounf $0.12 a sq foot I would think for that much area if you can get a truck in to spray would be faster and more economical to spray rather than seed and blow down straw or hay also that would be a lot of bails to bring in.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUSWEDE View Post
Figure out sq foot cost from your sub around here for hydro seed it is arounf $0.12 a sq foot I would think for that much area if you can get a truck in to spray would be faster and more economical to spray rather than seed and blow down straw or hay also that would be a lot of bails to bring in.
.12 cents that only covers the Hydro seeding and labor You still will have work the ground to get it ready for hydro seed

Faster and cheaper just do seed /straw
Hydro seeding is a cheaper then Sodding

The biggest Hydro Seeding job I have done is 5 acres My pull type Finn does 5,000sqft per tank from fill up and apply takes about 1.5 hrs per tank
My Finn Straw blower will blow 125 sq. bales per hour that's at rate of 87 bales per acre
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 PM
DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: dennis ma.
Posts: 1,344
For a job that size I would imagine you could get someone at ten cents per ft. Hope that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Krafty Krafty is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 670
Yes obviously we would still have the prep work but that is all work that we are capable of handeling, was just looking for opinions on hydroseeding vs conventional. That is what I was looking for .10-.12 a sqft. Conventional seeding would be way cheaper even at .10 a square.
__________________
www.stldumpsters.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2013, 10:35 AM
CLP CLP is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 59
For 17 acres I would get a farmer to seed it, it would be like doing a hay field. The seeder just rolls it in the ground, no need to mulch it. But I don't know what it looks like or what there doing with it after.
__________________
follow us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/CLPowersJrExcavation
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-10-2013, 03:27 PM
tbi tbi is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
Any of you guys have any experience with hydro seed or hydro mulching. Had a 17 acre clearing, grading, and seeding project come across late today that has to be in first thing in the morning. Just trying to get an idea if subing out some hydro mulching would be any cheaper then conventional seed and straw. All we have every done is the old fashion way. Just a last minute thought and figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone had any experience.
You should be able to get something that large done for $.06-.08/sf if water is readily available.

I did a 40 acre job once for .06 with a 300 gal Finn and made good money despite prevailing wages.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 PM
treemover treemover is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: lost in the trees, ks
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbi View Post
You should be able to get something that large done for $.06-.08/sf if water is readily available.

I did a 40 acre job once for .06 with a 300 gal Finn and made good money despite prevailing wages.
Holy h** Did you get tired of filling that thing! Thats 600 fills!! We have a kinkaid 300gal and do 3000sgft/ tank, wow!!

we get .18/sq to hydro seed up to 5 acres, our machine is too small to do any more

we do 3 acre+ at .05/sq but we have a round bale processor that goes behind a tractor that speeds up the process
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
Holy h** Did you get tired of filling that thing! Thats 600 fills!! We have a kinkaid 300gal and do 3000sgft/ tank, wow!!

we get .18/sq to hydro seed up to 5 acres, our machine is too small to do any more

we do 3 acre+ at .05/sq but we have a round bale processor that goes behind a tractor that speeds up the process
Yes be no way I would do 40 acres with my 600gal Finn.

Yes round bale blower is nice but in open areas only.
I use mine in all are lawns. We made a adaptor to put on 50ft hose put on the discharge chute.
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Page generated in 0.06834 seconds with 9 queries