Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad Boy Residential Question

I am looking to get my first zero turn mower and am looking pretty hard at the Bad Boy's. Unfortunately, the closest actual bad boy dealer is right at 2 hours from me. However, I have looked at some of them at my local Tractor Supply Co. I will be mowing right at 2 acres and was wanting to get something with atleast the 2800 transmission. I have seen where the Magnum MZ now have the 2800 transmission. The tractor supply co. only carries the Magnum MZ in 54" with the Briggs engine. I would like to have had this model with the Kawasaki engine, but like I said, a dealer isn't close at all to me. I was wondering if you thought the Briggs engine would be all right for my application, or should I try to make a trip to the dealer for the Kawasaki engine. Also, do the Magnum MZ even with the Briggs engines have the 2800 transmission? I would really like to get that 60" ZT Elite, but my budget is going to be under $4,000. Tractor Supply has the Elite 60" as well, but it also has the Briggs engine.

Finally, how can I tell which transmission a mower has by looking at it? If I go with something from Tractor Supply, I want to make sure it isn't an old stock MZ and a newer one with the 2800 transmission.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, would it be worth the expense to just try to save up a little more and get the 60" cut? I don't know how much more time it will take off from me cutting my yard between a 54" or 60" deck cutting my approximate 2 acres.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Does Tractor Supply have a service department? If they don't you may want to reconsider what mower you buy with the nearest dealer being 2 hours away.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The MZ Magnum is new this year, the unit that is from last year is the MZ and that is still available also and uses the EZT drive system.
The MZ Magnum uses the Hydro Gear EZT series integrated drives, 1 per side.
To get into the better Hydro Gear ZT 3100 series (with filters) you need to step up to the ZT Elite series.
What is your zip code? our Ohio salesman is setting up a lot of dealers, you may have one closer than you think or one may be coming on soon closer to you.

Pj
Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

So the magnum does have a better drive than the regular mz, or do they have the same drive? I was thinking the new magnum had serviceable hydros.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I checked the dealer locator on the bad boy website. If you know of one not listed, please let me know.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 61' bad boy outlaw I have mowed 3acres and with it I cut off 1 hr of time with that you should be done in a 1-1/2 hr
2-21' mowers
4-gas trimmers
4-gas blowers
3-back pack blowers
6x14 trailer/dovetail
7x18 open trailer / car
04 ford f-250 crew 4x4
2013 ford f-150 crew 4x4
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah the magnum popped out with ezts. Sorry for the confusion i opened my big mouth a little early. I was told when they were designing new model it was getting the 2800's, sorry for the misinformation... tsc has to have a servicing dealer setup, but i always try to get you guys to buy at an indepedent full line dealer if you can as they are usually much more knowledgable. The zt 60and has the kohler courage pro at tsc, you can get the 48" with briggs pro at dealer for $4499 with 3100 trannys, 7 guage commercial deck, awesome spindles, half inch front forks, tractor turnbuckles holding deck up, much beefier than mz for the $1000 extra. The mz was redesigned this year with 54" deck, much beefier design, hour meter etc, and they kept the price the same instead of throwing the 2800's on them and going through a price increase... a good thing, but it seems badboy absolutely refuses to increase price no matter what they change on a mower, over the past 6 years i witnesses a $5 increase, and i saw the 50" zt drop $200...lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I was looking at kandgmowers site just checking on prices and such for the Bad Boy mowers. They show the Magnum MZ now with 2800 servicable transmissions.

Does anyone know for sure exactly what the Magnum MZ does have. If it has the servicable 2800, I think it will be exactly what I purchase. If it doesn't I probably need to find something that does have a servicable hydros, even for my residential use.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The MZ has EZT's
The MZ Magnum has EZT's