Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Husqvarna 224L true 4 cycle trimmers

I don't hear much about these trimmers. Everyone either goes with Stihl, Echo, Redmax, or Shindaiwa it seems like. I have a friend who is telling me that the true 4 cycle trimmers (oil isn't mixed with fuel like the hybrid engines) are great and how much he loves them.

He has the Husqvarna 224L model and he says it sips fuel and is an all around great trimmer for the money. He doesn't live near me or I'd ask to try it out.

Do these true 4 cycle trimmers have the same issue as Stihls 4 mix where its idling or full throttle with not much an in between?

He doesn't edge with his so its not an issue for him and also I wonder if they are able to be ran in any direction without issues since there is oil in the crankcase.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 224L Husky has a Honda 25cc 4-stroke engine...and they get some real nice reviews around here. My understanding is that they are capable of running in any position/angle and that the ability to regulate the throttle is a piece of cake.

I recently bought Honda's big 35.8cc 4-stroke trimmer = very smooth, very powerful. I'll write up a full review in a couple weeks once I get some hours on it.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

best trimmer made man. i have a honda 25cc which is the same engine. i've had mine over 10 years trouble free. still cranks first pull.

i also have a husqvarna 324ldx which i use for an edger and a backup trimmer. it's the same engine.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I currently have an echo srm230 and its literally brand new and got it on sale at home depot and of course the one thing I buy at home depot vs dealer im gaving issues. I believe the plastic cheap carb is messed up. Primer bulb isnt wanting to fill with fuel and it wont start without tinkering with it for about 30 mins...it has less than 5 hours on it and I dont have time to take it to a dealer to get it fixed. I had a redmax and the crank bearing was bad after a week of use and I had a stihl fs90r but I edge with the trimmer and it was idle or ful throttle with no inbetween and it had a bad coil which kept it from running when hot so the dealer gave my money back and I bought the echo.

I just need something reliable and that the throttle is smooth and not like stihls where its all or idling.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get the Husky 223L. They are reliable, will trim any normal grass with ease, and lighter than any other trimmer out. For another $50 you can get the 323L and have a solid drive shaft and extra HP all at the same weight.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Get the Husky 223L. They are reliable, will trim any normal grass with ease, and lighter than any other trimmer out. For another $50 you can get the 323L and have a solid drive shaft and extra HP all at the same weight.
I like the idea of the regular 4 cycle though especially if it'll save a few bucks on fuel and is still dependable and has a smooth throttle range from idle to full throttle and smooth in between. I don't mind changing crankcase oil as long as its reliable and my friend swears by the 224L with the honda engine.

Another thing about my trimmers I run ethanol free fuel and the echo red armor oil and take really good care of everything which sucks. It seems like if I run junk oil 10% ethanol oil and don't ever clean my stuff or anything it would run better haha.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My biggest thing against the 4 stroke handhelds is that it means keeping two different fuels with me at all times. I am solo so there's no chance of using the wrong fuel since the cans I use look very different for mix vs straight fuel. I just don't like having to carry two different types, and possibly run out of one or the other while no where near a station. I'd rather just have a large one of mixed fuel with me.

I run either 92 or 93 octane fuel and Amsoil Saber Pro in all my handhelds, and have yet to have any issues with any of them. I am very fussy about all my equipment and keep it looking new as long as I can, but I don't change spark plugs or filters unless there's a reason to.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
My biggest thing against the 4 stroke handhelds is that it means keeping two different fuels with me at all times. I am solo so there's no chance of using the wrong fuel since the cans I use look very different for mix vs straight fuel. I just don't like having to carry two different types, and possibly run out of one or the other while no where near a station. I'd rather just have a large one of mixed fuel with me.

I run either 92 or 93 octane fuel and Amsoil Saber Pro in all my handhelds, and have yet to have any issues with any of them. I am very fussy about all my equipment and keep it looking new as long as I can, but I don't change spark plugs or filters unless there's a reason to.
I don't mind having two different cans one for mix and one for regular fuel since I keep two different cans anyways because I need the straight gas for "just in case I run out" just to get the mower back on the trailer. It happens more than I think. I usually fill up once a week and sometimes on a Friday they run out and I'm not leaving a $5000 walk behind at a customers house or a $7000 ztr. I don't change plugs or air filters unless theres a need but I do clean all air filters twice a week especially this time of the year because of all the pollen.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I should have specifically said fuel filters. I clean my air filters regularly too, and change the paper inner filters when they get mildly dirty looking.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i use 2 gas cans too. most days i don't even take them with me though. i just fill up at the house before i leave and they last me all day. if it's a real busy day i will take them with me.

i've had a time where my mower ran out of gas and the only gas i had was in my 4 stroke honda trimmer. so i filled up my mower with the gas out of the trimmer and was able to drive the ztr back onto the trailer.