Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

what kind of lco dosnt carry spare gas?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can see where a LCO 'might not' carry spare straight gas since most wide area mowers have fairly large to giant onboard tanks that can be more easily filled at the pump.

I do suspect that 99%+ of all LCOs carry mixed gas for their HHs.
There are very few straight gas/4-cycle commercial HHs out there. Honda, Husky w/ a Honda engine, some Dolmars are the ones that come to mind. Having recently purchased a Honda trimmer, am wondering how long it will be before I accidentally refuel with mixed gas.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
I can see where a LCO 'might not' carry spare straight gas since most wide area mowers have fairly large to giant onboard tanks that can be more easily filled at the pump.

I do suspect that 99%+ of all LCOs carry mixed gas for their HHs.
There are very few straight gas/4-cycle commercial HHs out there. Honda, Husky w/ a Honda engine, some Dolmars are the ones that come to mind. Having recently purchased a Honda trimmer, am wondering how long it will be before I accidentally refuel with mixed gas.
Just make sure you keep your straight fuel in a can that looks completely different from your mixed fuel can(s). Mine is not only different in design/shape, but a lot different in size. Lots of guys wrights "straight gas" or "50:1" on their cans.

I don't think putting mixed fuel into that Honda will hurt it near as bad as if it were straight fuel in a machine that needs mixed, but still, that's a nice trimmer and you want the right fuel in it.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All can say the Husqvarna 224L is the Best in every way .I would not trade it for any other trimmer. I never been so fast at trimming before .It starts with 1 pull Hot or Cold it is amazing how good the Honda Engine run .I run it for hours and hours wide open cutting heavy grass on a bank and did not over heat .
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyboy30 View Post
All can say the Husqvarna 224L is the Best in every way .I would not trade it for any other trimmer. I never been so fast at trimming before .It starts with 1 pull Hot or Cold it is amazing how good the Honda Engine run .I run it for hours and hours wide open cutting heavy grass on a bank and did not over heat .
I'm glad to hear all the good reviews on the 224L. I really think I'm going to pull the trigger on one. I seriously can't take another day or two of the issues with the Echo. Echo's used to be good! I guess once they went "orange" they went south.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
what kind of lco dosnt carry spare gas?
a smart one. they can't steal 5 gallons of gas if it's not there.

how much gas do you need in 1 day?

my mower holds 11.5 gallons and that will last about a week almost.

i can trim on the yards i mow in a day and only use 1/2-3/4 of a tank of gas in my trimmer.

same goes for my blower and edger.

there's no need to take extra gas unless it's some kind of abnormal job that comes up.

i have a 5 gallon can for straight gas and a 2 1/2 gallon can for mixed gas. i write mix on the top of it with a sharpie. the only thing i have that uses mixed gas is my blower.

i need a honda 4 stroke backpack blower. too bad they don't make one yet.

Last edited by weeze; 04-11-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
a smart one. they can't steal 5 gallons of gas if it's not there.

how much gas do you need in 1 day?

my mower holds 11.5 gallons and that will last about a week almost.

i can trim on the yards i mow in a day and only use 1/2-3/4 of a tank of gas in my trimmer.

same goes for my blower and edger.

there's no need to take extra gas unless it's some kind of abnormal job that comes up.

i have a 5 gallon can for straight gas and a 2 1/2 gallon can for mixed gas. i write mix on the top of it with a sharpie. the only thing i have that uses mixed gas is my blower.

i need a honda 4 stroke backpack blower. too bad they don't make one yet.
I've had mixed gas stolen before. Right out of my truck. I keep my blower and trimmer and spare fuel (closed containers of course) inside my truck cab because if its in the bed or on the trailer it would get stolen.

They'll make a honda 4 stroke backpack blower soon I'm sure.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jason,
Dolmar makes true 4 stroke back pack blowers right now, and Dolmar equipment is pretty good stuff.

http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/p...ers/index.html

The max air cfm shown is at the housing, but it is still more than enough cfm at the tube for the work you do with a blower.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That Dolmar BP is intriguing. I'd like to hear one at full throttle.

I do carry both straight & mixed fuels in different sized cans. The process of breaking habits leaves room for mistakes...but like you said RG, running a bit of mixed gas through my Honda shouldn't hurt it, but it will smoke and stink. So far, she does sip the fuel...though the tank is quite a bit larger than my Stihl FS-80's.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-12-2013, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
That Dolmar BP is intriguing. I'd like to hear one at full throttle.

I do carry both straight & mixed fuels in different sized cans. The process of breaking habits leaves room for mistakes...but like you said RG, running a bit of mixed gas through my Honda shouldn't hurt it, but it will smoke and stink. So far, she does sip the fuel...though the tank is quite a bit larger than my Stihl FS-80's.
I wouldn't want to run mixed fuel through that nice Honda, but I don't think it would do much to it. Maybe foul the plug. I used a Ryobi 4 stroke trimmer that I bought at HD many years ago, and I used it hard. I got 10 or 11 years out of it before I started having any issues. It is just sitting on a shelf now waiting for me to adjust the valves and install a new prmer bulb. It might get looked at this summer some time, but I have other trimmers to use.