Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Honda with the 35cc engine that thing is unstop able for just 379.99 the JD dealer had other brands that were 599.99 with 25cc two stroke make wonder just buying paint?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXN1EL View Post
I bought a Honda with the 35cc engine that thing is unstop able for just 379.99 the JD dealer had other brands that were 599.99 with 25cc two stroke make wonder just buying paint?
Am guessing you were referring to a Stihl FS 250 (40.2cc) for ~$599? The last of Stihl's badazz 2-strokes...am guessing it is a true & loud monster hungry for work.

I too bought the same Honda (35.8cc & ~$404 w/ tax) and will do a review on it tomorrow. Yes, unstoppable is a great description!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it really that big of deal to actually have to mix oil with gasoline? It's hard to beat the light weight highend power of a two stroke. I may be old fashioned, but it might take me 10-15 seconds to mix it. That being said, I do like the torque of the 4 strokes. Honda makes a great engine. In my area you are starting to see a "stigma" with four stroke handheld power equipment. Many people run out and buy a Ryobi or Troy Built four stroke and think because it's a four stroke it must be great. "Yay!! I don't have to mix oil and gas. How conveinent!!" Well we now all know that the jury is still out on the adaptation of the four stroke handheld. Well it looks like the 224L/Honda may make a case to prove otherwise.....
Old 04-17-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it's not just about the oil mixing. the honda will use 1/2 as much gas so it's a huge cost savings too. hondas are also quieter and have more torque. you can basically trim at half throttle instead of having to use full throttle like you do on a 2stroke.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
it's not just about the oil mixing. the honda will use 1/2 as much gas so it's a huge cost savings too. hondas are also quieter and have more torque. you can basically trim at half throttle instead of having to use full throttle like you do on a 2stroke.
Well I don't think you realize the pros of a two stroke. Lightweight, more simple, easy to work on, maximum power to weight ratio, proven to be more reliable and no valves to adjust. Weeze, like all new things, maybe four strokes will be more common place but as it stands now people prefer two strokes. I have never seen any pro use a four stroke. The closest you see is a Stihl 4mix. It will be interesting to see where the future goes on this topic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ended up getting the Stihl FS100RX. Its very light went and is a professional grade trimmer. There's no husqvarna dealers within a reasonable distance and so far I love the light weight but yet power that the FS100RX has.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
Yea I go less than half throttle and basically can go in high grass with no problem no more mixing crap 4 Stroke
Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outpowspo View Post
Well I don't think you realize the pros of a two stroke. Lightweight, more simple, easy to work on, maximum power to weight ratio, proven to be more reliable and no valves to adjust. Weeze, like all new things, maybe four strokes will be more common place but as it stands now people prefer two strokes. I have never seen any pro use a four stroke. The closest you see is a Stihl 4mix. It will be interesting to see where the future goes on this topic.
Posted via Mobile Device
That just it don't have to work on a 4 stoke .I have 2 trimmers one is has old has 2002 has not been work on at all. Not even a spark plug can you say that about 2 stroke I know I can not .
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyboy30 View Post
That just it don't have to work on a 4 stoke .I have 2 trimmers one is has old has 2002 has not been work on at all. Not even a spark plug can you say that about 2 stroke I know I can not .
Yeah my Shindaiwa T270. It is the most highly regarded trimmer ever made. Period! Those trimmers will not die. See MANY people will say this. This has been proven by many pros. The same cannot be said about your Honda. I will still be using my Shindaiwa when that Honda is being melted down for scrap. It reminds me of those old lawnboys. Look how long they last and guess what they are two strokes. I'm not saying the Honda is bad by any means. But to make a crazy claim to say it is more reliable than any other trimmer is a fallacy. My Shindaiwa is proven to be the most reliable equipment I have ever owned. The new Shindaiwa equipment is not as good but my T270 is a tank. The only thing I have done is basic maintenance. And it is a 98 model..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Until recently I had a Stihl BR320. It was a 1995 model, which makes it 18 years old. It was still running like new as of a couple weeks ago when I sold it, and never had anything done to it. How long something lasts has more to do with how it's taken care of them what type of machine it is or who made it generally, but 2 strokes have less moving parts, so by design they should last longer.