Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

...and the sad part is that the newer HH designs do not have the lifespan of these older HHs. So when new guys come here looking for recommendations...how useful is it, really, to brag up something they can't even buy new now? I've read the Shin reviews past and present...and wanting and recently buying a new trimmer had me not even looking at a new Shin.

I was a huge RedMax fan...and not saying they're bad now, but there's enough reviews around here that had me wondering just a little too much if I wanted to make my investment with them.

I get the most useful info/data/intel from reading the review threads about a particular trimmer as opposed to the pizzing contest threads b/tw brands. Let's face it...we just want the thing to start and run WHEN we want them to. Hard starting and being unreliable is what we all want to avoid.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
...and the sad part is that the newer HH designs do not have the lifespan of these older HHs. So when new guys come here looking for recommendations...how useful is it, really, to brag up something they can't even buy new now? I've read the Shin reviews past and present...and wanting and recently buying a new trimmer had me not even looking at a new Shin.

I was a huge RedMax fan...and not saying they're bad now, but there's enough reviews around here that had me wondering just a little too much if I wanted to make my investment with them.

I get the most useful info/data/intel from reading the review threads about a particular trimmer as opposed to the pizzing contest threads b/tw brands. Let's face it...we just want the thing to start and run WHEN we want them to. Hard starting and being unreliable is what we all want to avoid.
That sounds about right to me too.......
Old 04-18-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That sounds about right to me too.......
But see that's subjective to say that. This whole forum is opinion based. I am referring to personal as well as the opinion's of the masses. You can find a good trimmer used as well. With trimmers, one thing I have realized is you must find what best fits you and your needs. There is no perfect trimmer for everyone. People swear by echo. Frankly I think they have cheap products now but that's my opinion. I happen to like older Shindaiwa products and I also use newer Stihl products and some people blast them. My point being that whatever we all recommend will be disagreed upon. That's what this site will sometimes equate to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know what you are talking about, and I agree with your posts for the most part. I am not sure what is subjective about what I said though. I simply agreed with Valk where I highlighted it in bold, and that's pretty much true for all of us here. We just want them to start when we need them to, and run right while we use them. Brand doesn't matter that much anymore because they all have positive and negative posts about any of them anymore, so there's no real clear cut winners when you read all the reviews on places like this (with the possible exceptions of the 270 Shindy and FS 250).
Old 04-18-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I know what you are talking about, and I agree with your posts for the most part. I am not sure what is subjective about what I said though. I simply agreed with Valk where I highlighted it in bold, and that's pretty much true for all of us here. We just want them to start when we need them to, and run right while we use them. Brand doesn't matter that much anymore because they all have positive and negative posts about any of them anymore, so there's no real clear cut winners when you read all the reviews on places like this (with the possible exceptions of the 270 Shindy and FS 250).
That's was my mistake. I thought is would copy you and valk's quote. I see what you are saying as well. You are right about brand to. It doesn't really matter anymore. It's more about dealer support than product. I have a lackluster husqvarna and Honda dealer where I live. This could be why you don't see many people with the four stroke machines here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree about opinions. LS is somewhere to start and is one of the best resources out there for immersing oneself when deciding upon a purchase.
Personally, & IMHO, I can't put much stock in any used HHs since I don't know the degree of care used while running and maintaining them...like running a tank of straight gas w/o it seizing-up kind of thing.

My 8yr old RedMax lowest tiered commercial trimmer history:
~run w/o a guard 100% of its life
~had never gone to the shop
~had one broken starter rope the yr before I sold it
~a few new sparkplugs
~a few air cleaner elements replaced even though they likely didn't need it
~still had the original in-tank fuel filter
~still had the original clutch
when I sold it to an LCO friend. He knows me and knows it was well cared for. He put a new piston in it and has run it everyday since. So it's going on its 11th or 12th season with the original ignition sans sparkplug, albeit with a new piston...and he may not have even changed out the fuel filter. I should ask him about that.

Not trying to brag, but this is remarkable. Do they build them this well now? Gosh, I hope so for anyone who purchases one. Why did he buy it? Because the newer RM's were unreliable in his opinion. He tried a couple other brands...and chose to rebuild his old RM units and find some of the older units used for parts and rebuilding purposes.

It truly is resourceful to have the know-how to rebuild these better/older units, thus restoring them. But, am guessing that most folks here would rather buy new...and I include myself in this realm.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
I agree about opinions. LS is somewhere to start and is one of the best resources out there for immersing oneself when deciding upon a purchase.
Personally, & IMHO, I can't put much stock in any used HHs since I don't know the degree of care used while running and maintaining them...like running a tank of straight gas w/o it seizing-up kind of thing.

My 8yr old RedMax lowest tiered commercial trimmer history:
~run w/o a guard 100% of its life
~had never gone to the shop
~had one broken starter rope the yr before I sold it
~a few new sparkplugs
~a few air cleaner elements replaced even though they likely didn't need it
~still had the original in-tank fuel filter
~still had the original clutch
when I sold it to an LCO friend. He knows me and knows it was well cared for. He put a new piston in it and has run it everyday since. So it's going on its 11th or 12th season with the original ignition sans sparkplug, albeit with a new piston...and he may not have even changed out the fuel filter. I should ask him about that.

Not trying to brag, but this is remarkable. Do they build them this well now? Gosh, I hope so for anyone who purchases one. Why did he buy it? Because the newer RM's were unreliable in his opinion. He tried a couple other brands...and chose to rebuild his old RM units and find some of the older units used for parts and rebuilding purposes.

It truly is resourceful to have the know-how to rebuild these better/older units, thus restoring them. But, am guessing that most folks here would rather buy new...and I include myself in this realm.
Yes that is quite remarkable. I see many guys here switching to Redmax with good results. There trimmers are pretty neat. They have a proven engine design and a nice Zerk fitting on the gear. The Japanese are excellent at building engines and I am sure Redmax is a good unit. My hope is that Husqvarna doesn't gut them though. Echo has begun to do this with Shindaiwa. I have always been very impressed with Redmax's blowers. Very powerful just from looking at there specs. If Redmax had a better stocked dealer in my area I would definitaly give them a try!

My Shindaiwa T270 has had new air filters and inline fuel filters. I also did finally put a new rubber handle on it. The only one was dry rotted. It smokes abeit at start up but runs fine once it warms up. I have bought a rebuild kit for it when it does finally gives up the ghost. It still has the factory fuel lines!! Factory rubber in the carb. I have yet to run into one issue due to defect yet. I will keep it running for another 15 years. I have used amsoil for a long time but after seeing first hand how well these new FD oils like Shindaiwa Redarmor clean, I may be changing. Hopefully that will add some life to my old trimmer.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know which Amsoil you use, but if it isn't Saber Pro, switch to that. it's a lot cheaper the HP Ultra, Red Armor etc, and I NEVER have any fouling or buildup on my exhaust screens or plugs etc.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I don't know which Amsoil you use, but if it isn't Saber Pro, switch to that. it's a lot cheaper the HP Ultra, Red Armor etc, and I NEVER have any fouling or buildup on my exhaust screens or plugs etc.
I have used Amsoil Saber for years with good result. The only thing I don't like is the debate of the oil ratio with Amsoil Saber. I have used it at 80:1 but I get a lot of oil blow by. It's great oil don't get me wrong I just don't want to play the guessing game.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have that problem, even in my older stuff. I use it at 80:1 too. It sounds to me like you need new rings.