Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Leaky Pond Troubleshooting

Yes, I know there is a pond board but nobody ever seems to post in it so I'm posting here....

I don't work on ponds often. I know the premise of them and know how they work ect. I have a good customer who has a pond and she says it leaks from the waterfall, that when the Fall is on the water level will drop below the intake (allegedly) Well I tore apart the fall and there were no holes in the liner. The area where the liner attaches to the fall basin is good and no leaks. Dug 90% of the hose up (it ran under a decorative grass) and no leaks. Dug the fall basin up and checked the hose intake and was dry. What else... oh, before I took all the stone off the fall I watched it and the water did not appear to be seeping off the sides of the rock fall. Am I missing anything? could it be leaking anywhere else? Is water loss normal in a pond? I think this lady is nuts and I don't think it's leaking. Thoughts....
Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Water in a pond and fall, being that its moving will cause faster evaporation. If it was me I would let the pond/fall sit idol for a day or two and take a enital measurement in a spot you can find again and again. I would think being that its not moving water that you would loose no more than a quater inch a day at the most. I would also let It completely dry before I tuned it on again, then look for water that may be leaking or splashing out.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

The pond holds water fine dry. It has been out of service since about last august and hasn't had any water depth issues, she said once she turned the pump off the water never fell below intake level. So maybe a silly question but can I raise the overflow tube with an extension to make in an inch or two higher to prevent the water from falling below intake level? (pond water would be an inch higher thus taking longer for evaporation to make water level dangerously low) Is this a stupid idea?

Are there any other potential problems for leakage other than the ones I listed>
Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

First I would never take the customers memory as fact. If it worked before as is sits now it should work again. There is no telling what has happened. Me personally would not raise the overflow. I would find what she believes to be the problem.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

A mesuring tape will tell all.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, the property is right next to where I live. I'll mark it and fire it up and let it run for a day and see what we get. If it really is "leaking" I should probably see a noticeable drop in water. This job originally came about because she asked me to fill it in and I talked her out if it. I said no it's a beautiful pond and you spent all that money to put it in blah blah blah. Should have just kept my mouth shut. Would have made just as much without the hassle if I just filled the damn thing in.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a pond once that took me about 30 total hours to find the leak. I have found out most them leak through the rocks on the fall. There is also no way to know what some one else may have done for a short cut. I look for cracks, holes, and visable signs of water.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh I don't envy you. My father in law has a two ponds with a waterfall and stream connecting them. Second pond I put in when working for someone else before I was on my own. We have always had issues. Finally replaced liner in first pond which I didn't install, had a hole in side part way down from a rock.

We had streams lose water, pipes with holes. They are beautiful when they run right, but they are a time waster when they don't.

I only do his and one other. This year is first year no issues, (yet)
Good luck. Perserverence