Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2010, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Liquid fert for centipede

Going to all liquid and was looking for a good fertilizer for centipede.The yard is irrigated.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A good fertilizer for centipede is something you custom blend. What I use is 1/2 lb of N from ammonium sulfate, 1/2 lb of K from potassium nitrate and soluble iron/manganese. This gets sprayed on, then irrigated. You will be applying this monthly, stopping 60 days before first frost. Do not worry about how much N you are applying on this program. Those recommendations are based on the assumption that the fertilizer is based on coated urea, something I do not like on warm season grasses at all.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-03-2010, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I will find these in a powder form or liquid at my local ag supply house and are those numbers per 1000 sq feet? Thanks for your help doc I have read alot of your posts on here about centipede and glad that you responded.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes and yes. This concoction should be sprayed through a boom at 2-3 gallons per 1000. I do not have a Chemlawn gun attached to my sprayers, probably never will. While you are at it. Pull soil tests on the centipede lawns. If the soil tests alkaline, pH above 6, sulfur is needed to drop it to or below 6. Feeding a lawn all ammonium sulfate is to maintain soil acidity, but it is not enough for grossly alkaline soils.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for posting the greendoctor. I have 2 centipede lawns I service and I am working on getting them weed free now...however mine are not irrigated so all my handiwork will have to be done in the spring.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 07-04-2010, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Greendoctor and I do have a wet boom set up that I have been spraying the weeds with.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Thanks for posting the greendoctor. I have 2 centipede lawns I service and I am working on getting them weed free now...however mine are not irrigated so all my handiwork will have to be done in the spring.
When you have the rains, put those lawns on that program. Under drier conditions, low rates of foliar iron are good. But be careful. It is not hard to scorch and blacken the grass. If it starts raining again before frost, straight potassium nitrate and iron is good. That is what RAImaroad does and he tells me it makes a big difference in the overall condition of the grass long after the application.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I apologize for cranking up this old thread again but I wanted to confirm with Greendoctor that this information below is still valid.

Do you still use these same amounts of the same nutrients for centipede or have you updated since this thread is a few years old.

I'm getting into a little bit of spraying liquid fertilizer and just wanted to make sure.

Also what rate of the soluble iron/manganese do you apply at each monthly spray interval?

Quote:
A good fertilizer for centipede is something you custom blend. What I use is 1/2 lb of N from ammonium sulfate, 1/2 lb of K from potassium nitrate and soluble iron/manganese. This gets sprayed on, then irrigated. You will be applying this monthly, stopping 60 days before first frost. Do not worry about how much N you are applying on this program. Those recommendations are based on the assumption that the fertilizer is based on coated urea, something I do not like on warm season grasses at all.

Thank You,

Rod

Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Same rates apply. To keep it simple, I use 2.5 lb dry ammonium sulfate and 1 lb potassium nitrate. The soluble iron/manganese is from FEature 6-0-0 added at the 6 lb or 2 oz per 1000 rate.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank You!...Got It!