Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2014, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

truck brake anti lock brake question

Remember the days when you hit the brakes and your car or truck would squeal to a halt because the tires would lock up and the vehicle would slid to a stop. I kinda miss those days. If you could get the tires to lock up on dry pavement then you knew your brakes were good.

My current truck (and my last) have anti lock brakes. what i use now is a 2000 toyota tundra.

I never remember the brakes locking up on dry pavement. I don't think the anti lock feature even kicks in on dry pavement. I'm just not sure if they have on this or my Dodge before. Both trucks activated the anti lock on wet pavement.

I just changed my rotors and pads. cheap aftermarket stuff. the truck definitely stops better and seems to stop pretty quick

but should I be able to get the anti lock system to activate on dry pavement?

It will stop and on a really hard test stop I got out and looked at the front of the truck and they heated up enough to smoke but I could not get it to lock up (or anti lock.)

any thoughts?

In case it matters my rear brakes are toast right now.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the ABS light doesn't stay on the ABS is working. Doesn't mean your suck brakes will lock up a wheel.

Long time no see??? Hope your doing well.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

truck brake anti lock brake question

????????? The reason you can't get it to lock up is because the anti lock system is working. If it locked up it would not be working.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you want your trk to lock up the brakes and go sliding into someone? Your abs will only kick in when the brakes are actually locked up and the wheel speed sensors are reading incorrectly
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You should feel the brake pedal vibrate when the ABS is on. If you are not feeling that and have the brakes slammed as hard as you can push then your brakes are to small or your pads are crap and fading.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrown View Post
????????? The reason you can't get it to lock up is because the anti lock system is working. If it locked up it would not be working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselss View Post
So you want your trk to lock up the brakes and go sliding into someone? Your abs will only kick in when the brakes are actually locked up and the wheel speed sensors are reading incorrectly
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess you didn't read my post very well but thats ok.

I wanted to know, in dry condition, on dry pavement, if it would be normal for the anti lock system to activate when you slam on the brakes. I never remember it coming on unless the roads were wet and the tires lost their grip. But i figured if the brakes were fully pushed at 50 MPH or so that the tire should start to slide and the anti lock system would come on

but it doesn't.

and no. I don't really want my truck to slide into some one or slide at all. That was all tung in cheek about how simple it used to be to tell if your brakes were working properly.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
You should feel the brake pedal vibrate when the ABS is on. If you are not feeling that and have the brakes slammed as hard as you can push then your brakes are to small or your pads are crap and fading.
the pads are new. I would think even cheap pads should be made at some certain requirement. And they are also as large as will fit on the truck. as large as the factory oem pads. The brakes are the what was designed for the truck.

thats why I was curious if any one else has noticed wether it was hard to get the anti lock system to activate on a truck on a dry road.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
If the ABS light doesn't stay on the ABS is working. Doesn't mean your suck brakes will lock up a wheel.

Long time no see??? Hope your doing well.
hey larry. hope your doing great also.

I don't ever remember my abs light coming on even when I was certain the abs engaged.

at least I thought I was certain
Old 05-04-2014, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You're not going to be able to lock tires up at 50 mph dry. If it comes up pedal will start shaking
Posted via Mobile Device