Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2013, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Google Places listing - moving

I've been digging through Blumenthal's blog and haven't found the answer so I figured I'd ask here, maybe someone has run into it. I set up my Google Places listing to be my rented office in Manassas. I've been in pending review status for years and never really dealt with it because I'm pretty sure I know why and there's nothing I can do about it (address issue).

I'm vacating that office. In the meantime, since the business is registered from the home address, I updated my listing for that, checked the box that I'm a service business and to hide my address. That's all good to go.

Where I'm unsure is my new "office" space. It's a shared office space (like Regus/ServCorp) and I won't have a unique address. I know this is prohibited by Google's quality guidelines. However, my website will reflect this new address as will all my marketing collateral. Am I potentially hurt by not having a G Places/Plus page with the primary address I'm using for my business? Or does it even matter?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They may not care. There have been two businesses with the exact same address at my location for 16 years, no issues yet.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
They may not care. There have been two businesses with the exact same address at my location for 16 years, no issues yet.
I just don't want to mess things up. because I was seriously stuck in pending review for years, and if I had to guess it's because there was a suite E and a suite E-1, and Google refused to recognize the distinction. Different businesses, different entrances, doesn't matter.

As for the new one, it's a shared/virtual office space that specializes in tech startups. Place has been around for over a decade. So I have to imagine that it's not going to fly with Google as a location because 1) they'll know it's a shared office/address place and 2) I bet a dozen of my new neighbors, at least, have it listed as their address.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure if this situation would put you in violation of Google's TOS or not.

However, to rank well you need your address to be consistent across all platforms. I'm not sure there is a great solution here.

Just curious- what shows up when you Google your new address?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is some info from one of Blumenthal's fave local experts on a similar situation: http://localsearchforum.catalystemar...lus-local.html
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

PC, if I were in your shoes, I would probably go the hidden address route, but list your address on all other citations/listings/web site with your accurate NAP. You've already proven to be questionable enough, and Google's scrutiny would have more to do with you being a place that accepts customers/clients on a regular basis. Suites/shared spaces tend to not fall under those guidelines. There can also easily be issues with NAP confusion due to the common addressing. To boil the issue down, Google wants real places for people to visit during some open window of time.

Google Maps does use actual humans to go through listings, so if an algo doesn't catch you, a human will. When they're doing a post-verified sweep, and see your address shared by a number of other companies, you've hit a latent snag that will come out of the blue.

Going back to my recommendation, and knowing how ridiculously competitive your market is, I would focus less on the Google Places address, set it as a SAB, and localize your content like crazy. For your target market, I honestly don't see how a specific map listing, vs a service area, would really impact you at all. You are surrounded by so many sizable areas, with a large variety of city names, that ranking for Local, instead of "just" organic would probably prove to be more helpful. If your Regis address is in one of the smaller or lesser known city names, such as your current address, you're not going to see yourself likely ranking in Local for anywhere you're not, which happens to be a huge part of your target market.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

To kind of tie several recent posts in this sub-forum together (4 of the last 5?), I've used a recent example that is an easy reference for me as it's in process. A company was whacked from Google Places for PO Box issues, I deleted the Google listing, built up an array of citations and Yahoo/Bing Local accounts using a legit NAP. I didn't even bother with Google until the other citations were indexing. I have since claimed a new listing, it has been verified via the postcard, but is still "pending further review". It is set up as a SAB with a hidden address. The company has a 60 mile, highly populated service area, comprising two cities and 2m people, so a Google Places address in the suburban city the company is actually located in, would have little Maps bearing.

In this time, I have created new, localized pages. Last week, a newly created web page in a very competitive market, debuted 2 slots below the 7 Pack. A Couple of days ago, it moved to overall #2, above the 7 Pack. I just checked, and it's now #1 overall. This is a desirable, affluent town 50 miles from the actual business location.

All of this from a company that was hammered by Google and does not have a currently live Places page, but is now ranking above those that do.

Last edited by tonygreek; 03-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, I totally agree with Tony. I believe that in the next year G+ Local will get easier and more polished. Until then, I wouldn't put a ton of time into it. If you hit a snag- just move on and focus on organic.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you just call Google and get it straightened out. There is no way I would have let my business listing sit with an "under review" status for years and not inquire about it.

Have you ever gotten a call from google to verify your information? They should have called you.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 03-24-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Why don't you just call Google and get it straightened out. There is no way I would have let my business listing sit with an "under review" status for years and not inquire about it.
If you're outside of Google's Quality Guidelines, there's nothing you can really get straightened out. Google intends for their Maps playground to exist for a specific reason, which I think people tend to lose sight of or just not understand. We can disagree with their treatment of legitimate, service-based businesses all we want, but when it comes down to it, it's a map.

If you look at Google Maps as an evolution of good old fashioned printed maps you get from AAA or the gas station, would you expect to see your home or virtual office on it?