Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Mower setup for a new business

I hate to ask this cause im sure its been asked before several times, but im trying to figure the most efficient setup before i drop 4 grand on a walk behind. while most of my clients will be residential at first my goal is to get as much commercial work as possible as soon as possible. A few factors: i live in houston, big city but a lot of competition. most of the older houses have the 36'' gates newer houses or using larger gates. with that being said my question is what size deck/mower combo would be the smartest most efficient. should i get one 32'' walk behind to do front/back in residential and use that on the larger commercial properties if i go out and get them sooner than later. or should i get a larger deck (36-48) that more than likely wont fit in backyards and just use a 21'' push mower for the fenced yards.
the scag dealer im talking to only has the 32'' SW belt drive WB on his showroom floor so i think thats why hes pushing me towards the 32'' so i figured id get everyones input. Thank you and any additional info is always appreciated!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Start out with residential. How big are the back yards of the residential homes? If they aren't too big can can get away with a 21". My personal opinion is to get a 36" and a 21". Once you make some money get a 48" or bigger and then you would be setup for commercial. My other question is why are you so interested in commercial?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

3000 to 3200 square foot is about average for back yards. commercial is where the money is at. id rather get a several commercial than have to do 50 residential. not saying i do not want to do residential or only commercial i know i need to be diverse but id rather lean more towards commercial. and thank you for the advice. i think i will get the 36'' sw scag and a 21'' self propelled to start with. i want to buy equipment that i can use to grow as my business does and not buy something that is going to limit me or slow me down if the business picks up quickly. i think the 32'' wouldnt be worth the money for my goals. i dont want to have to turn around and sell it to buy something bigger.

Last edited by lareed88; 04-10-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The 21" and the 36" will work for the comm and resi because alot of our commercials have lots of small islands where the 21" comes into play and small little patches of turf where the 36" comes into play. And then obviously the 36" works for fronts of resi and bucks where the gate is wide enough and the 21" gets everything else. do you have any accounts yet?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am just starting this year (as soon as the grass starts growing) and I went with and Exmark 21 with BBC and a 48" Hydro Viking. I keep this in mind when I go to give estimates and price them accordingly. If there is a gate that the 48 can't fit through, I will charge more as I will have more time on the property. If I dont get it, then I move on to the next one. If I do get it then I am making money on it. Plus with the 48" I have the ability to take on bigger properties and still be profitable on them as well. I will have room to grow into the 48, as a 32 would be what I need right now, I would expect to out grow it soon.

But alot of this is dependant on your size lots. Around here, 1/4 acre is the smallest I do, and not uncommon to see 3/4+ lots. A 48 will let you grow into it.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You said " commercial is where the money's at". That may not always be the case.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The best decision I made from the get go was to go with standers instead of WB's the perfect set up is a 36" stander and a 52" stander, hands down the perfect setup. Every rig I see around here now has at least one stander on it, if not all standers, I have a 40 and a 52, I keep a 21 on the trailer just in case I need it but as of yet I haven't. Don't put yourself in a position that you have to charge more because you have to work harder IE push a 21", just set yourself up from the beginning to be efficient ALWAYS but ALWAYS be thinking efficiency when buying equipt! A 21" although necessary in some cases which is why I keep mine on the trailer "Just in case" isn't efficient at all.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 04-10-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmarking..Just got off the phone not to long ago to do general maintanence on 30+ forclosed homes weekly during mowing season and bi weekly during winter months. Deal isnt set in stone but more than likely ill get it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
The best decision I made from the get go was to go with standers instead of WB's the perfect set up is a 36" stander and a 52" stander, hands down the perfect setup. Every rig I see around here now has at least one stander on it, if not all standers, I have a 40 and a 52, I keep a 21 on the trailer just in case I need it but as of yet I haven't. Don't put yourself in a position that you have to charge more because you have to work harder IE push a 21", just set yourself up from the beginning to be efficient ALWAYS but ALWAYS be thinking efficiency when buying equipt! A 21" although necessary in some cases which is why I keep mine on the trailer "Just in case" isn't efficient at all.
The stand ons are nice and I was first looking at ztrs but figured that would limit me on the residentials. Then looked at the stand ons (scag v-rides) but couldnt understand spending that much more, as they are about the same price as the ztrs, when I can get the walk behind and just throw the sulky on it. Ultimately ill need the 32" for residential along with the "just in case 21 push mower" then get a larger walk behind 52"+ or a ztr. Im pretty confident about starting with this 32" scag sw then getting a bigger one in the near future if need be.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

How do you figure a stand on limits you to anything?, we have both commercial and residential accounts, why in the world would you want a 52" WB vs a 52" Stander? a 36" will fit through practically any gate, trust me "Buy once Buy right" for a starter setup buy a 36" stander and a 21". then as you grow add a 52" stander,your done buying mowers for quite a while. Your asking for advice, we're giving you advice based on experience.As for a 21" take a look at the AWD husky mower, it has a Honda engine and seems quite versatile. It's not about "Their nice" standers are way more efficient then Sit down ZT's which I feel are actually becoming obsolete, they are bulky and not as efficient or versatile as standers, example: I can fit two standers on my trailer vs one sitdown.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 04-11-2013 at 02:32 AM.

Tags
32'' or 36'' , just starting , mower set up , new business