Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Are you doing them for your friend or another company? Your "friend" might be trying to sub them to you and he is taking a piece of the pie.
Yeah he will be subing them to me but ill look at all the specs of the deal to prevent anything like that and id hope he wouldnt do that unless it was agreed upon
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How in the world do people make money cutting for $19.

Take cpllawncare's advice and get a 36" stander. If you can't swing that, get a 36" hydro wb and sulky. I'm sure you can buy a cheap wb from someone who tried to cut lawns for $19 last year.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 04-11-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah ill have to do the photos. Ill see if there is any room on the price per lawn. How much more you think I should ask
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
How in the world do people make money cutting for $19.

Take cpllawncare's advice and get a 36" stander. If you can't swing that, get a 36" hydro wb and sulky. I'm sure you can buy a cheap wb from someone who tried to cut lawns for $19 last year.
lol nothing is final im just considering the work. My gut is telling me and so is everyone else to get a 36 but my dealer is swearing that ill have issues getting into backyards and to get the 32 wb so i dont know what to do
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by lareed88; 04-11-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a 36" dude. I could see a 32" as a special mower for some properties but as your main mower, you need to be as productive as possible. That 4" doesn't make a night and day difference but it does make a difference. I don't know about where you are, but my 42" navigator fits through everyone of our properties gates. Isn't 48" gates standard?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In his first post he says he's in Houston and the older homes have 36" gates.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So far we haven't run into a gate that our 36" won't fit through. Came very close yesterday though with a 36" chain link gate. I believe 36" is the smallest for chain link. That is the gate itself then add an inch or so for hinge gap and the gap at the latch. A 36" Scag is 37" wide with chute up.

Scag mowers
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

-Og Mandino
Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
So far we haven't run into a gate that our 36" won't fit through. Came very close yesterday though with a 36" chain link gate. I believe 36" is the smallest for chain link. That is the gate itself then add an inch or so for hinge gap and the gap at the latch. A 36" Scag is 37" wide with chute up.
Yep.. my TTHP 36" will fit through a 36" gate. My mower measure out to 36.5"
Old 04-11-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I know everyone is saying get a 36 but business is picking up faster than expected and I dont have time to wait for the 36 so im picken up my 32 in the morning. Ill let yall know if I hate it or love it and ill post some picks when I get it. Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge with a greenhorn
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lareed88 View Post
Yeah ill have to do the photos. Ill see if there is any room on the price per lawn. How much more you think I should ask
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure how the market is there. I would think it's very competitive though. We set a minimum of $40 and only make exceptions if the customer is military or elderly. So far it has worked out well for us. We have more work than we can handle and leads coming in everyday. The one thing I done that helped immensely was to build a website and get the rankings up over the winter.

I would much rather not win an estimate than to bid too low with thin profit margin and be stuck with that property for the rest of the season or longer. We roll out with $20k just in mowers on the trailer and I just can't stay in business trying to lowball bids and compete with the neighborhood kid mowing with his 21" Murray. Try to build a quality customer base and route. Like I said, things might be totally different where your at. We seem to have alot of lawn companies here too but the way I see it, there is a whole lot of grass to be cut in TN and every home or business is a potential customer.

What I have learned very quickly, is that this game is all about numbers. You have to generate as many leads as possible and bid them appropriately. You won't win them all but you are not concerned because 3-4 more will email or call you the next day. To me, trying to compete on price is a recipe for failure. The overhead is too high for a legit business and there are too many people out there that WILL be able to operate cheaper than you can.

Scag mowers
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

-Og Mandino

Tags
32'' or 36'' , just starting , mower set up , new business