Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2011, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Prizelawn’s Bigfoot BF l HVO Spreader...how good is it???

Ok I'm looking for a high quality WB spreader for to compliment my monkey grinder Earthway 3100 monkey grinder. I really like the versatility of the this Earthway spreader for many of my properties almost all are 1/2 acre or less in total lawn area. I believe this to be the fastest most efficient spreader since I fly by the seat of my pants and basically eye ball the entire process and vary the output based on speed of the hand cranking and the amount of opening.

I have a recent lower back injury and I need to only use my Earthway 3100 Monkey Grinder on uneven terrain to reduce the load on one of my discs in my lower back. Thus the reason the purchase a WB.

SO....how well does the HVO feature really work on the Bigfoot Spreader? Success stories? Success stories? I also want to use it to apply GCM and a variety of other non fertilizer products to aide in the breakdown of thatch. I also want to use it to apply GCM and a variety of other non fertilizer products to aide in the breakdown of thatch etc. and other soil amendments.....mentioned in this other thread. http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...40&postcount=5

Will this spreader apply EKO compost to top dress a lawn in any capacity.

Prizelawn’s Bigfoot BF l HVO Spreader

The Bigfoot BF l HVO (high volume output) features a hinged plate for conversion from

fertilizer spreading to high volume application. It is designed for the application of EZ Mulch,

topdress sand, icemelters, limestone, grass seed or other high-rate products while retaining

all the adjustments and features of the BF I SS. Stainless Steel frame only.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you intend to lift it onto your truck? In that case the Prizelawn Bigfoot may be too heavy. If you transport it on a trailer--with ramp--fine. Otherwise if you have to lift it--try to find something that weighs less than 25 pounds. Earthway's 50 pound capacity with wide tires and stainless steel frame is a good bet. Add a handle on the left side of the frame for easier lifting.
http://earthway.com/product/professi...ers-1/manuals/

You can always cut a bigger hole for those big jobs. And cover it with duct tape or screw on a little plastic patch when you want to use it in the conventional way.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the input. Probably get the earthway one first and see what happens.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2011, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think Prizelawn also manufactures the Anderson (Scotts ) stainless steel spreader. They are probably very similar.
Too late, but I just heard that Earthway has a very slow delivery system. Be sure to ask exactly when ordered products will arrive.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I ordered this same spreader but not in Stainless Steel. For right at $230.

Posted via Mobile Device

Just wondering if anyone has used this Earthway Spreader for use with compost or more course material?

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Earthway sort of like the red one, mine just has the larger hopper, for a backup. The Lesco I had and my Scotts/Anderson [about the same as the Prizelawn Bigfoot, just green and a helical cone] have way larger openings than the Earthway. In fact my Scotts/Anderson has the largest openings, I think the center of the Scotts alone would let out more material than all three openings of the Earthway and two holes of the Lesco. Since Scotts/Andersons [and many others] are made by Prizelawn I would bet that the Bigfoot HVO would really move some material through it.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I have a Earthway sort of like the red one, mine just has the larger hopper, for a backup. The Lesco I had and my Scotts/Anderson [about the same as the Prizelawn Bigfoot, just green and a helical cone] have way larger openings than the Earthway. In fact my Scotts/Anderson has the largest openings, I think the center of the Scotts alone would let out more material than all three openings of the Earthway and two holes of the Lesco. Since Scotts/Andersons [and many others] are made by Prizelawn I would bet that the Bigfoot HVO would really move some material through it.
Turf dawg,

Any chance of taking a picture of the opening of your Anderson say with a quarter near the opening for perspective?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2011, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I will be loading up my mowers in the morning and will see if I can remember.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I hope you can tell something because I am not the worlds best photographer. The two holes on the side are almost the same size as a quarter [one I have covered with tape because I do not use them] and the middle one is larger than a quater so I had to close the opening to keep it from falling throught. I am pretty sure the Prizelawn HVO [high volume output] has one large retangular opening for things like sand and compost.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well let me try this again.
Attached Images