Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag Mower Freedom vs. TC

Here's my dilemma. I am buying a mower for my personal yard, I have 2 acres, probably about an acre is grass. My local Scag dealer has a couple of models that I am trying to decide from, I believe both are left overs from last year:

--Scag Freedom Z 52" kaw motor fs600 $6199
--Scag Tiger Cat 48" Briggs 26hp $6999

Where my issue is, is the Tiger Cat with the briggs worth the extra $800 over a kaw powered Freedom? I know I will probably never use either to their full ability with the grass I have, but I want something that will last me for many, many years no matter how much grass I want/need to cut. I've had my mind set on a kaw motor since I started my mower search but the price on the tiger cat has me thinking. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, the TC is a lot better machine than the FZ, but I am not too fond of the B&S Commercial Turf series engines. If it had a Kohler, Kawi, or best of all, a Vanguard engine, I'd say jump on the TC. Still, for homeonwer use and with proper care, the TC with the B&S CT engine would be fine and a much better choice overall.

Again, just my opinion.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

TC is a lot more mower. The briggs will be good for 1,000 hrs or so. For a homeowner, you will be sick of looking at the mower before it will need to be replaced.