Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyst1 View Post
When i bought my IS3100Z my dealer didn't set it up the way i wanted it or close to what i believe to be correct. None the less it still cut better than that pic.

Maybe it's the type of grass (what is it, hard to tell). Was there a chute blocker or a mulch kit on this? Just looks like there was no vacuum on the cut.
Yea it had a mulch kit on it.

The only concern with cut quality in this pic to me is the uneven cutting.

Seems noone on here thinks its due to the suspension. Which is great news because Im wanting to buy one!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run a ferris everyday from a 1500 all the way to a 3100.... They do not leave lines like that becuase of suspension... I can cut a slope slope and make it look like carpet.... I hit a corner of a side walk onetime and bent the blade and it caused lines to be cut just like the picture... There is five contractors in my area running Ferris and they all love them....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I had a Gravely dealer in town I would buy one just to run something diferent for a while... I'm not stuck to one brand but from the choices I have in town Ferris is by far the best in my opinion.... The other choices I have in town are Exmark hustler and Bad Boy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
Nope have bad a bent blade do the same thing before... No extra vibrations....
Posted via Mobile Device
Fairenough, maybe theres another possibility then, a bent blade. It was only 2hrs old but Im willing to go along with that.

Anyway I want to buy a 3100, but if I buy it and I get problems like this uneven cutting man I will be PISSED OFF!! ive been through 2 seperate problems with another manufacturer, so the next purchase Im taking a very catious approach. I really do appreciate the input of you & others who have one already, but the issues ive had with other mowers, are issues other ppl havnt had with the same mower. So anyway point is im trying to be thorough, if there is absolutely no un even cutting issues with a ferris, then I will buy one and most likely never buy another brand!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Fairenough, maybe theres another possibility then, a bent blade. It was only 2hrs old but Im willing to go along with that.

Anyway I want to buy a 3100, but if I buy it and I get problems like this uneven cutting man I will be PISSED OFF!! ive been through 2 seperate problems with another manufacturer, so the next purchase Im taking a very catious approach. I really do appreciate the input of you & others who have one already, but the issues ive had with other mowers, are issues other ppl havnt had with the same mower. So anyway point is im trying to be thorough, if there is absolutely no un even cutting issues with a ferris, then I will buy one and most likely never buy another brand!
I have quite a few threads on my Ferris 3100, nothing but goods things about them. In my opinion, the ICD deck is the best on the market right now.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 05-02-2013, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If it was a bent blade it would scalp all the way along the run the width of the blade, not just the edge of the deck. A bent spindle or the deck where the spindle bolts to the deck then sure, that will do it but the terracing isn't from a bent blade.
Terracing is from the deck squatting due to low pressure in tires and the amount the deck sits out from the casters. It can also happen when you take a new machine into lawns done with a different sized wheelbased machine. Deck finds a rut and you'll get scalping where there was no issue before.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2013, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
If it was a bent blade it would scalp all the way along the run the width of the blade, not just the edge of the deck. A bent spindle or the deck where the spindle bolts to the deck then sure, that will do it but the terracing isn't from a bent blade.
Terracing is from the deck squatting due to low pressure in tires and the amount the deck sits out from the casters. It can also happen when you take a new machine into lawns done with a different sized wheelbased machine. Deck finds a rut and you'll get scalping where there was no issue before.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Mick, so do you think this would be unrelated to suspension squatting? & more likely the tyre pressure or deck not levelled correctly.

I have had the thought all along that as the wheels are raised the deck raises with the wheels, but I didnt know how successful that would be. Then I saw this guy cutting and assumed it would be set up correctly with even tyre pressures, so that left suspension as the cause. But im hoping its not related to suspension!!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have purposely tried in all different angles to get it to scalp and it won't. I have a neighbor that has a bent blade on her mower and it leaves the same stripe affect. and yes this icd deck leaves a unique maniquired look. I just can't describe it but it amazes me every time I cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I have purposely tried in all different angles to get it to scalp and it won't. I have a neighbor that has a bent blade on her mower and it leaves the same stripe affect. and yes this icd deck leaves a unique maniquired look. I just can't describe it but it amazes me every time I cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds good mate.

Just out of curiosity, dont recal if I asked you already. But did you demo the ferris before purchase & if so how long did you demo? Is it normal for you guys over there to pick up a machine and take it to work for a day them drop back to dealer afterwards?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really just drove it on the back field they had for 5 min. I really always wanted one and just bit the bullet and bought it. I was after the comfort and new this was a risky decision .I was very very happy when I really got some seat time. it took me all while to get used to not stopping at every bumplike the other machines I have used in the past
Posted via Mobile Device