Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2013, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Yeah the ferris diesel is sooo expensive. I'm sure it's an awesome machine, but you can get so much with the gas machine that I can't justify paying for the diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not to mention the size and weight of the Ferris 5100. That thing is huge and heavy, and if there's any moisture in the ground, there's going to be some rutting eventually.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Yeah the ferris diesel is sooo expensive. I'm sure it's an awesome machine, but you can get so much with the gas machine that I can't justify paying for the diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device
I priced a 5100 before purchasing my 3100 I was quoted 8K more!!!! Thats alot for a diesel motor and bigger tires. Plus the hassle you would have to go through to have it worked on. All of the cat service places around me is super heavy equipment repair. I would love to see the look on the service managers face calling in to have your lawnmower looked at while they are pulling in a 100ton dump truck into the bay LOL

All I can say is full suspension is the only way to mow. I would almost rather go back to a push mower than ride on any other zero turn with some gimmicky seat platform or forks.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The thing you have got to consider is it is more to go wrong.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Ferris 3100Z B&S Vanguard 36 hp

12 hrs. on mine and getting ready to change blades. This is one nice machine and wouldn't think the suspension would add additional maintenance over time. Looks pretty straightforward if anything broke. Worth whatever for the ride and cut.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Not to mention the size and weight of the Ferris 5100. That thing is huge and heavy, and if there's any moisture in the ground, there's going to be some rutting eventually.
Agreed, it suits a smaller niche market. I don't think many of us contractors would have use for it
Old 06-17-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
The thing you have got to consider is it is more to go wrong.
This is a popular saying I've found for non-Ferris owners. In particular any dealer that doesn't sell a Ferris, they like to say this.

But I couldn't disagree more, if it costs more to maintain the extra moving part, its worthwhile for the better ride. Just as we wouldn't go backwards to have a car without suspension, simply due to cheaper maintenance.

The important point to make here though, is you do need to have rough properties to be cutting. If you do then you will feel more at ease about maybe replacing a shock here or there, the next time your riding over a series of back jarring ruts, yet you don't feel them youll be thinking about how much you don't care about the cost of replacing that shock which is taking all the beating for you!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
This is a popular saying I've found for non-Ferris owners. In particular any dealer that doesn't sell a Ferris, they like to say this.

But I couldn't disagree more, if it costs more to maintain the extra moving part, its worthwhile for the better ride. Just as we wouldn't go backwards to have a car without suspension, simply due to cheaper maintenance.

The important point to make here though, is you do need to have rough properties to be cutting. If you do then you will feel more at ease about maybe replacing a shock here or there, the next time your riding over a series of back jarring ruts, yet you don't feel them youll be thinking about how much you don't care about the cost of replacing that shock which is taking all the beating for you!
Yeah it's like running the air conditioner in the middle of summer and then complaining about the electric bill lol, I mean I guess you could turn it off and sweat all the while you were home. I'll pay the bill!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skew View Post
I priced a 5100 before purchasing my 3100 I was quoted 8K more!!!! Thats alot for a diesel motor and bigger tires. Plus the hassle you would have to go through to have it worked on. All of the cat service places around me is super heavy equipment repair. I would love to see the look on the service managers face calling in to have your lawnmower looked at while they are pulling in a 100ton dump truck into the bay LOL

All I can say is full suspension is the only way to mow. I would almost rather go back to a push mower than ride on any other zero turn with some gimmicky seat platform or forks.
Yeah that's insane, my local ferris guy quoted me $12,500 before tax for a 3100. I will not pay $20,000 for a mower, Idc if it changed oil, cut grass, and wiped your ass. It's not worth it to me when you can get a mower that does almost all of that for he the price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

What kinda blades you guys running on your 3100 mowers? I mow fescue and blue grass. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post

Maybe everyone should go back to using a hand sickle. Look at all of the extra cost to replace blade spindles!! Just to spin blades when you can use your back lol