The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skew View Post
Maybe everyone should go back to using a hand sickle. Look at all of the extra cost to replace blade spindles!! Just to spin blades when you can use your back lol

If you don't need suspension in your mowing area why have it?, they are not popular here for that reason.

There is one dealer in the area and I talked to him about the Ferris mowers he sold and he verified what I said. It is more to go wrong.

I looked at one in detail a 3100 and I felt there are more heavy duty machines out there but if you do have properties that are rough I can see it being great for that.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
If you don't need suspension in your mowing area why have it?, they are not popular here for that reason.

There is one dealer in the area and I talked to him about the Ferris mowers he sold and he verified what I said. It is more to go wrong.

I looked at one in detail a 3100 and I felt there are more heavy duty machines out there but if you do have properties that are rough I can see it being great for that.
Yea couldn't agree more, if I didn't need a better ride, Id still own a SZ, ( aside from cutting issues )
Old 06-19-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

What machines are more heavy duty?

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All of any commercial mowers are made to last
The ferris 3100 is a heavy duty mower. They use Hercules spindles and many other high quality parts. I have had many commercial brands in the past and they all hold up to the heavy duty abuse.that is just my opinion
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
All of any commercial mowers are made to last
The ferris 3100 is a heavy duty mower. They use Hercules spindles and many other high quality parts. I have had many commercial brands in the past and they all hold up to the heavy duty abuse.that is just my opinion
Posted via Mobile Device
You are correct Williams. The mower industry in general is made up of quality machines. It's all about what color you want on your trailer. There are a few that offer special/different features that set them apart. And ferris is one of them. In my time operating the ferris, the only problem it had was a spindle locking up and smoking the deck belt. I talked to my old boss the other day and to this day, all he has had to do since then is oil/filters/blades. I would say that they are as reliable as any other manufacturer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyst1 View Post
What machines are more heavy duty?
Ones that are simpler, the one I looked at was pretty heavy duty. There were a few things I noticed about it that were just over complicated.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Ones that are simpler, the one I looked at was pretty heavy duty. There were a few things I noticed about it that were just over complicated.
Ok, i guess i'll have to ask again? What machines are more heavy duty? You didn't answer my question.

Over complicated, please elaborate on this?

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 06-21-2013, 04:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you guys know what brand and cc are the hydros on the latest 3100 ? Cheers
Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Pumps are Hydro-gear 16cc
Parker wheel motors