Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
I would rather have a Vanguard i would go with the 36 if you can't get a 32, I feel like 32 is the minimum for the 3100... Which in normal weekly cutting the 30 would prob be suffice with better fuel effeicency... And yes I Paid 10,500 for both of mine...
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I agree, I'd prefer to have the Vanguard! Ill talk to the dealer today, see whether the 32 is an option for us over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I used to run the 72" version with the 32 vanguard. We didn't mow overgrown properties by any means, but we did mow a walmart that had a super steep hill along the north side of the property. The 32 didn't struggle at all with running the deck and climbing the incline at the same time. I wouldn't think you would ever need more than the 32 on the 61" deck. The machine can only process so much material at a given time. I would think anything over 32 would be overkill.
Thanks for your input! I had a feeling this would be the case, I dont feel like I need any more than the 31hp kaw, thats on my 60" right now. You were happy with 32 on a 72" cut, so Im almost convinced the 32 would be enough.

The idea is that Im in the business to make money, so if the smaller capacity engine is going to be cheaper to run then it would be the way I would go, increases the profit margin. On the other hand if the difference in fuel usage was very minimal then I guess having the extra power could come in hand. theres about 100cc difference, so im wondering if this could equate to 10% more fuel usage.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 36 is suppose to get the same or a tad better than the 32 on fuel... Or so they say
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like you say, if there isn't much difference in fuel consumption, its better to have more than you will ever need than always want more than you will ever have. Kind of like money, and women
Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
The 36 is suppose to get the same or a tad better than the 32 on fuel... Or so they say
Posted via Mobile Device
Im not sure if the 36 they offer us is the DFI. Will check on this also, if the fuel usage is the same then its a no brainer, but if they are both carb then I would imagine the 36 will drink some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Like you say, if there isn't much difference in fuel consumption, its better to have more than you will ever need than always want more than you will ever have. Kind of like money, and women
Haha good way to put it!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well according to a big dealer on here the 36 is the same on fuel and there both carb... I can't say one way or the other... I bought the 32 becuas I figured it would be better on fuel... I could have got the 36 for $300 more dollars...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats interesting, I would like to think its correct. But I dont beleive it would be personally, unless the 32 is carb and the 36 is EFI then I would. But the extra capacity requires more fuel/air mix, so it will burn more.

I called the dealer, our only option is 30 commercial series or 36 Vanguard. So I guess vanguard is the only option.

So far they cant offer me a demo.

Over there are you guys expected to purchase a machine without a demo? Thats how it is here. they dont give demos, if they do its a quick ride on a concrete carpark!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes we get demos over here and get demo pricing.... And I would go for the Vanguard for sure not the Briggs Commercial Turf
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely go with the Vanguard over that stupid B&S Com Turf engine.

green- something to remember about a larger engine- it may use more fuel than a smaller unit when running WOT in easier cutting conditions, but put a tough load in front of both and the larger engine doesn't have to work nerly as hard, or get into the governor to do the job, so it could actually do as well, or better on fuel.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Definitely go with the Vanguard over that stupid B&S Com Turf engine.

green- something to remember about a larger engine- it may use more fuel than a smaller unit when running WOT in easier cutting conditions, but put a tough load in front of both and the larger engine doesn't have to work nerly as hard, or get into the governor to do the job, so it could actually do as well, or better on fuel.
This is true, although I havnt struck anything yet where I needed more power than the 31hp kaw, so I would have probably gone with the 32hp vanguard if it were an option to us here. But being that it isnt, the 36hp will be the only option I think.

You make a good point, the other thing would be if the engine is working much harder it will have a tendency to wear quicker, however I dont see myself wearing out one of these engines any time soon. I just want to ensure its not a cheap version where reliability and repair costs come into play. Anyhow the 36 Vanguard will be the way to go!

I just need to get a demo, after my experience I wont buy anr zero turn without a decent demo, the sad thing is dealers dont care less they will just turn you away and look to the next customer. Over here ppl dont push for demos, so I guess the dealers a spoilt in that regard. I think the mower company should be offering out demo models to each dealer, then when it reaches a determined amount of hours sell off as demo model and send them a new one! This is what they would be doing in the states. But not here.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I just bought a ferris 3100z last month. My mower has a 37kaw and a high back seat with a suspension kit that makes the seat a bit higher. I will have to say that this machine leaves a better finished apperiance than my JD z 950. The JD leaves an excellent cut but the ferris leaves a more manicured tight look.the ride is amazing and u feel good at the end of the day. I cannot get this machine to scalp at all.I will be sticking with the ferris brand
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't recall if you had the Pro std deck, or the MOD deck on your 950, but I can tell you firsthand that the MOD deck is more tightly baffled than the std deck, and it leaves a more mincured look like the UC deck, yet works much better in wet or damp conditions. If you look at the underside of the MOD deck and the ICD, they almost look like twins as far as the front baffling.