Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 PM
TMlawncare TMlawncare is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: nw missouri
Posts: 1,169
Bit the bullet this year - Got workmans comp

Past several years we have had more then a few businesses we service ask for workmans comp. Two very large contracts contacted us wanting our service but we had to have workmans comp to sign the contract. This year we have 5 employees and wanting to grow so we signed up for the coverage. Its expensive, the main reason we have not had it before. Looks like it will cost us around 4% of payroll and about $1500 to cover myself. Anybody else finding that more and more are requesting it?
__________________
TMlawncare
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM
grandview (2006)'s Avatar
grandview (2006) grandview (2006) is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lancaster N.Y.
Posts: 3,476
If you had employees last yr,didn't you have to have it anyways?
__________________
www.grandviewlandscaping.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 PM
caddy029 caddy029 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 47
I had to get it to, I went thru the hartford only 140 down and pay as you go, every week I just log on and state how much I paid out in payroll and they bill me a few days later, other companies wanted between $1400-2500 upfront.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-25-2013, 04:59 PM
TMlawncare TMlawncare is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: nw missouri
Posts: 1,169
We have had employees for the last 7-8 years. As long as we stay under 5 employees, the state of Missouri does not require you to have it. Does not matter if the employees are full time, part time, seasonal they all count toward the magic 5.
__________________
TMlawncare
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 PM
TMlawncare TMlawncare is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: nw missouri
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy029 View Post
I had to get it to, I went thru the hartford only 140 down and pay as you go, every week I just log on and state how much I paid out in payroll and they bill me a few days later, other companies wanted between $1400-2500 upfront.
We had to pay $450 down and montly payments for the rest of the year.
__________________
TMlawncare
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM
JB1's Avatar
JB1 JB1 is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: From the hills of beautiful Southern Indiana
Posts: 5,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
We have had employees for the last 7-8 years. As long as we stay under 5 employees, the state of Missouri does not require you to have it. Does not matter if the employees are full time, part time, seasonal they all count toward the magic 5.

so what happens in that situation if an employee were to get hurt.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-25-2013, 05:15 PM
TMlawncare TMlawncare is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: nw missouri
Posts: 1,169
We screen our employees pretty well, provide health care coverage for all fulltime staff. If they get hurt we pay all doctors bills. Risky yes. We have been in business for over 16 years. Number of injurys, one. Twisted ankle. It always bothered me thought one wrong slip with a piece of equipment and something major could happen. I would say that our closest calls have alway been employees almost hit by cars. It has happened atleast 8-10 times. We constantly train on this. Even now that we have coverage I still want all our employees safe.
__________________
TMlawncare
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:32 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 8,043
OP if you had employees b/f and didn't have WC you were taking a big gamble.
Better shop around now and get some.

I have only one employee and I have Comp. $490 annual. Big rip off I know, but whatcha gonna do?
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
2013 Gravely Pro Turn 260 with Kohler 26.5 EFI
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 PM
l3en007's Avatar
l3en007 l3en007 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
Past several years we have had more then a few businesses we service ask for workmans comp. Two very large contracts contacted us wanting our service but we had to have workmans comp to sign the contract. This year we have 5 employees and wanting to grow so we signed up for the coverage. Its expensive, the main reason we have not had it before. Looks like it will cost us around 4% of payroll and about $1500 to cover myself. Anybody else finding that more and more are requesting it?

In NJ one of the benefits is that you dont have to cover your self under workers comp. You should look into that before you sign up for it...
__________________
www.bluelawns.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 PM
TMlawncare TMlawncare is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: nw missouri
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3en007 View Post
In NJ one of the benefits is that you dont have to cover your self under workers comp. You should look into that before you sign up for it...


Its like that here too. Our problem is the commercial accounts are specifically stating all employees insured. They just started this crap last year.
__________________
TMlawncare
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Page generated in 0.07949 seconds with 9 queries