Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-23-2000, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just tested Toro ZTR today with a 22 hp kaw,62" deck and liquid cooled. It goes about 9.5 mph. I have rode the Bobcat,Exmark,and Scag ZTR's. We have 6 Bobcat dealers in my area. I have only one Toro dealer within my cutting route and 5 within about a 15 mile radius. The one Toro guy I deal with is a landscaper and feels my pain when things brake and jumps right on it. I just need to know the pros and cons before buying it. I know Eric is a Chopper man but we don't have a chopper deal that close to us. The cash price is about $7,600 with tax. If I go with the payment plan with $2,000 down payments would be about $198 a month for 36 months at 6.9% Not a bad rate huh?
Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance
Old 08-23-2000, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

how did you like its performance? I have a 62inch z master with a 25hp kohlor. I have nothing but praise for it. Curs awsome in all conditions and has an exellent ride.... not to mention that it is built exellent. This mower holds hills very good and workes great even on small lawns with alot of obstacles. I say Go for it!
Old 08-24-2000, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I think they cut great in all conditions,and they hold hills really well.
I've used scag's turf tiger and Toro's Z-masters at the same time and the toro beats them hands down.
It throws clippings better and just seems to be a better made machine.
I think the price is a little high though $7800 for that machine? I bought my Z-master 255 /25hp kolher with a 72" deck for $8200.00 out the door
Old 08-24-2000, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you by chance have any Gravely dealers in your area? I use a Gravely zero turn and I love it. The have 50 and 60 inch decks. They are very close to maintence free. Check out their website. Email me with questions. ChrisBolte@aol.com
Old 08-24-2000, 04:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a good price. The liquid cooled used to be a $800 option over the air-cooled.

Next year the LC Kaw will have 27hp.

[Edited by Kent Lawns on 08-24-2000 at 07:24 AM]
Old 08-24-2000, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Travis: Check out alamia.com they have a Z Master 62" with a 25 Kohler for $7,395 (shipping included). Also a friend of mine got a 60" Z track for $160 a month, financed through
John Deere. P.S. Dealer cost on the 62/25 unit is $6,400 my landlord is a Toro dealer.

[Edited by Stinger on 08-24-2000 at 01:25 PM]

We kick the competition in the grass!
Old 08-24-2000, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I Loved the performence!!! I'm thinking about trading my girl friend in for the mower. (LoL's) The liquid cooled mowers are so quiet. I can creep up on peoples lawns. Chris we used to have a gravely dealer in my area, as a matter of fact I had two Gravely Pro 50 mowers back in the day.
Travis AG&G lawn Maintenance
Old 08-24-2000, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What are the pros and cons between the 100 200 and 300 series toros? Also between the midmount and front mount mowers? Do the decks flip up on all the z toros? I need to save my knees, and the TT is getting on in years and hours. Starting to think about a rider. But Im a little behind the times with all the different variations in what, from the outside, seem the same machine.
Old 08-24-2000, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Either something's wrong with the math or someone's giving you a story. With the numbers you're listing the interest comes out to 16.4%.
Old 08-24-2000, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Travis,

We bought a demo Z-Master 20hp/52" w/40hrs on it this spring. We tried Exmark, Walker, and Ransomes as well as the Toro. My personal favorite was the Exmark but the Z-Master was a very close second. The Walker is really a different breed of cat and the Ransomes dealer said no sale w/o buying the $800 ROPS so we said screw that.

We've put about 200hrs on the Zee so far. What we like: It's fast, very fast. Cuts clean even at near-top speed. Can get into more areas with it than you'd think. What we don't like: Scalp rollers are very easy to whack and bend out of alignment - then they become scalp makers. Deck seems less rugged than competitor's. Pain in the ass to scrape it. Compared to our WB's it sucks on inclines.

For tight residential lawns I'd recommend either a Walker or a hydro WB. For wide open spaces the Z-Master is great, and that's really why we bought it. The reason we went with it over Exmark is we save a couple grand with it being a demo, and we financed it for 24mo @ 0% interest with taxes up front. Too good of a deal to pass up.

Dave