Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Transformer "Clicking"?

I went out to a client to troubleshoot a transformer that woke the homeowner up at 2AM. They said the transformer was making a loud rythmic clicking noise. They unplugged it and went back to bed.

I checked it today, and of course no clicking noise. I'm wondering if this is something anybody else has encountered? It is a Unique 840w trans, installed June 2011. Intermatic DT620 astro timer, set to run dusk to 12am, which is why it's wierd that the transformer was doing anything at 2am.

I already replaced the timer and will wait to hear if this solved the issue.

Any thoughts or experience with this phenomenon? I don't use many Unique transformers (only inherited from other contractors' installs) but have never had issue with them if installed properly. I have about 100+ of these timers in use, with very few problems.

Thanks!
Andy Thomas CLVLT #1058 COLD #1321
Owner, Viewpoint Lighting
www.ViewpointLighting.com
Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I have had this exact problem before the fuse on the unique transformer came loose so it wasn't making good contact causing a clicking noise. Check that primary fuse make sure it's pushed down and locked!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Some transformers have a relay inside that engages the line voltage connection. I have 'heard' these in Hadco transformers for example. It is possible that the Unique transformer has a relay. At the time of the clicking, you are suggesting the unit was off?

I'm wondering if the timer was messed up, the lights were still on, and flashing on and off, as what would be the case with a relay.

Good luck

George