Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-23-2015, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Designcrowd for corporate branding??

This should probably go in the Business Management section, but there's generally more valuable opinion-givers in here so:

Any of you fellas use an online service like Designcrowd or other crowdsourcing site for logo-card-shirt-vinyl etc. design for branding, or re-branding their business?

Forming new company right now and am considering trying a site like that to get graphic design work done for company branding. Seems like a good way to see some fresh design work, but I have never actually spoke with anyone that has used an online competitive service for it. Seems strange-put up the money, hope it works out, if it doesn't, hope most of your money gets refunded.

I'm all for buying local, and I would as far as clothing and cutting vinyl graphics, but the few designers I have tried in the past were difficult to get even mediocre work out of.

Thoughts?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Do it all yourself. Local will be more expensive but at least youll get a sit down and tell them what you like or dont like about what they come up with. Took abt 2 years but eventually I had all of my stuff done myself. I feel much better about it.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't spend a fortune on branding for a start up. That way, if you change directions or find someone with something similar, you can alter without having been out so much. I have done okay over the last almost 20 years using pictures of my own dog, someone else's dog, and so on.

What I did do was buy a license from shutterstock.com. Sure, I'd like to have my own brand but that's more for vanity in my case. Shutterstock had enough ideas to fit my taste. Ultimately, I kept my same old tired dog picture but used one of their images in another way for my advertising.
It's extremely reasonable and easy to use and you can alter the image to your satisfaction. It takes awhile to find something you like... so be patient and creative.

If you come across something that does good slideshows (maybe flash supported), let me know. The company that hosted my websites slide show for years is pulling the plug..

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-25-2015, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are just looking for a logo and have something in mind I may be able to help you out. I wouldn't go crazy right away, but that's just my opinion.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys. I was hoping someone here had used one of the crowdsourcing graphic design sites, so I could get some feedback. We have a solid business plan and know what direction we are headed. This is an all or nothing deal, developing brand awareness is a part of said plan.

I have gone through all of this before locally and it is a pain in the balls. There seems to be no sense of urgency when dealing with locals, regardless of the dollar amount being spent. I'm all for buying local, buying american, if and when it is worth it. From the little research I have done, it seems as if many of these overseas designers are willing to go above and beyond what's required to have the chance to make a couple hundred US dollars. The process is the hold back right now.

Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you want to use local but can't get a pro to get off his or her arse, what about an art school, high school arts class, community college, etc. I know on my local craigslist there are people offering logo design. I know several great artists. Many are on their own time zone unfortunately from my experience. I guess it goes with the talent.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing