Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2014, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

//// Help removing hump in driveway /////

HI All,

A friend of mine was using a boring machine to dig a path under his driveway to run cable from his satellite dish to his home receiver.

The bit he used to bore was 1.75" in diameter and unfortunately it came too close to the surface on his asphalt driveway which resulted in a "hump" being formed along the bore path.

In an attempt to flatten the hump , he ran the machine over the hump but it did not go down (the boring machine weighs about 1700 lbs.).

Cars have driven over the hump and have not really caused it to disappear either.

I have a hand tamper at home (8x8 inch base I think)....I thought about bringing that over and trying it but I think if a car runs over it with little effect what good would I be using a 8x8 tamper? (of course I thought about taking my weed burning torch and heating the asphalt to see if that helps
too BUT I am worried I may heat the asphalt too much and make it sag into the path of the bore (remember he used a 1.75 inch bore bit so there is a small tunnel under the driveway).

I was thinking about renting a jumping jack tamper but worried that I may not be able to finesse it enough and it may result in more problems than solutions.

Any idea how well a plate tamper may work....seems more controllable but would it have enough oomph to flatten things out to "normal"?....We have access to a Wacker 1650 plate compactor from a relative who lives about 75 miles away.

Any suggestions / ideas / input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew
Old 10-09-2014, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm probably wrong but if the ground is damp and the asphalt is warm, it should pack back down since it's mostly likely displaced by the dirt under the asphalt. I don't think an 8x8 will do it though and if you run it, you might leave a good mark where the tamper scrapes the top of the asphalt.
I've fixed some humps in asphalt with my roller compacter but it was in the summer and we had to add some diesel to the asphalt to soften it up a bit. With a tunnel under the drive, there's always the potential for it to sag more. You could cause it to sag and fill with small bags of aspahlt then pack that down. It won't be perfect but with some work it will be even.
Other option would be to take the cable out and fish a sleeve of something like schedule 40 or schedule 80 pipe to support the "tunnel."

Maybe someone has a better idea.

This hump sounds like it is small. Are you running across it perpendicular to the hump or over it parallel?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-09-2014, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Run a machine over the hump the same direction as the bore to compact it then regrade the area. I'd regrade the entire driveway if it were mine.

Ahhh...I have a reading comprehension problem...just noticed it's an asphalt drive. YD's roller idea would probably work best.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Or just cut it out. Compact and replace asphalt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HI,

Thanks for the input guys....The hump really isn't that big but it is noticeable when you enter the driveway....not super noticeable but it's there and if you look down the driveway it does jump out at you.

My friend doesn't want to cut it out since that would leave 2 lines all the way across the drive that I think would be hard to "blend" almost no matter what is done..

I didn't think about he scraping aspect of taking the plate compactor across the top of the mound but that would probably happen now that I think about it....on the other hand hopefully it would at least get the hump down.....We had thought of seal coating the area but that would make a noticeable stripe (fresh black seal coat VS the older seal coat unless the whole driveway was done (unfortunately it is a large driveway.....I wonder if there are colorants that can simulate "older" seal coating....maybe adding in a white color to the black seal coat to make it look more gray and more aged?).

As far as how we drove the boring machine over the hump in an attempt to flatten the hump, we did it parallel to the bore (ran with the bore)....When the driveway is used cars run over the hump perpendicular to the hump....unfortunately use has not seemingly removed the hump.

I like the idea of reinforcing the "tunnel" with pipe but we are hoping that flattening it without that additional step won't result in a depression....I guess time will tell!

We don't have access to a roller so probably plate tamper will be as mechanized as it gets.

Just curious but how long will diesel have to sit on the asphalt to soften it?..... I would imagine longer than we would have patience for!..How soft will it get?....How much to use....soaking wet or just a misting?....If softening helps, I could use the weed burning torch to soften things up a bit BUT I can almost imagine going too far w/ heat and maybe causing a dip instead or maybe in the extreme melting the cable beneath (well not the metal parts but the rubber / plastic coating possibly).

FWIW I am going to try to pick up the plate compactor tomorrow (A Wacker 1550.....do you think that has enough wheaties to get the job done?

Thanks again

Andrew
Old 10-10-2014, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heat it slightly with a brush burner then compact it in a parallel motion using a vehicle or compactor. Be careful not to over heat it. A seal coat afterwards would also be helpful. And next time make sure the bore is a minimum of 3'-4' down. Good luck as it's not an easy fix.

I wouldn't apply any diesel to soften it either. That will ruin the asphalt in the mix.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HI all,

Thanks for the input....I'll post my findings and results so maybe it'll help somebody in the future....

I went to the property today to attempt to smooth out the hump.

I had read somewhere where people use a protective covering to keep from marring pavers so I figured I would do the same hoping not to scuff the tops of the hump by using the plate compactor against it.

I placed large high density sheets of plastic over the humps....the sheets are about 4 feet x4 feet each.

I had 2 sheets about 3/16 of an inch thick.....I figured I would start on one and as I got ready to get off it my helper would move another just in front of the machine as it moved forward

Anyways, I soon learned that sheets would kicked out from under the machine (level area) ....reason being I was manually holding the machine back to try to allow additional time for the vibrations to flatten the hump.....I suppose if I let the machine travel at its normal rate the sheets would have remained under the plate but since the area I was doing was small I held it back a bit so as not to be running around like a madman.

Ultimately, I stopped using the sheets and simply threw water along the travel path to act as a lube of sorts to minimize potential scuffing. I worked the strip for several minutes making a fair number of passes and even applied additional down pressure with my body weight...If it were big enough I may have considered riding it!

After all was said and done....the compactor did a good job considering the hump that was there to start with.....It mostly flattened but if you looked closely you can still see maybe a little bit left.

A bigger compactor may have done more but the Wacker 1550 did good and it was something that I could move around without needing heavy equipment (or several strong helpers) to get it around (As a side note, years ago I had a Muliquip plate tamper that could do about 12000 lbs of force but there was no way for me to move it myself).

Andrew