Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is wrong with this shrub?

It is a dwarf Hinoki false cypress. It was a B&B that I planted back in October. After I first put it in it was in an irrigated bed that was getting overwater started turning yellow. The homeowner had the irrigation turned off for the year shortly thereafter.

When I was over there last week I noticed it looking like this. I'm wondering if it's lack of water now Or is it a disease. All the tips are brown, inside lower area is totally brown and dry. When I rubbed my hand over the shrub it was like all of this dust out of it. I pulled a piece off and squeezed the brown tips to see if any bugs or larva would come out but I did not see anything. By just going off of the pictures does anyone know what this might be?
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only way to tell is to look at the root ball... especially if it has a history of root ball abuse,,, i.e. overwatering...
Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
It is a dwarf Hinoki false cypress. It was a B&B that I planted back in October. After I first put it in it was in an irrigated bed that was getting overwater started turning yellow. The homeowner had the irrigation turned off for the year shortly thereafter.

When I was over there last week I noticed it looking like this. I'm wondering if it's lack of water now Or is it a disease. All the tips are brown, inside lower area is totally brown and dry. When I rubbed my hand over the shrub it was like all of this dust out of it. I pulled a piece off and squeezed the brown tips to see if any bugs or larva would come out but I did not see anything. By just going off of the pictures does anyone know what this might be?
They are called pollen cones.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
They are called pollen cones.
Hmmm, so you think it looks ok? Is this normal?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
The only way to tell is to look at the root ball... especially if it has a history of root ball abuse,,, i.e. overwatering...
True, might have to uncover it. I was hoping I wouldn't have to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doesnt look like any thing is wrong. Cypress get the brown areas near the branches and trunks. Just brush them off
Old 04-13-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Doesnt look like any thing is wrong. Cypress get the brown areas near the branches and trunks. Just brush them off
So the brown the other branches and trunks is normal and the other poster said the brown tips are pollen cones. Basically this thing looks like it's dying but it's normal?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any other opinions?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Hmmm, so you think it looks ok? Is this normal?
Yes it is normal, but dig it up if you want to increase your chances of killing it. What exactly do you mean by "uncover it"?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Yes it is normal, but dig it up if you want to increase your chances of killing it. What exactly do you mean by "uncover it"?
Well small ax said a couple posts up; if you really want to see what is going on you are going to have to examine the root ball.

I would not dare dig it up. I was more or less referring to removing the soil and mulch from on top of the root ball by hand because he gave advice on examining the root ball to see the real cause. That's why I said I was hoping to not have to do that because I know that is definitely not a good thing to do.

I think I will just heed your advice and go with those are pollen cones on the tips and the inside dead matter is normal and just keep an eye on it to see what happens over the next 4 to 6 weeks.

I just thought it should be nice and green and lush with new growth coming out this time of year.
Posted via Mobile Device