Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro pro-line 32" won't drive

OLD Toro, mdl# 30102 (1990) great machine, cuts like a dream, BUT. Started loosing drive, like slipping, but now won't move under it's own power. Simple right? Bad belt, loose tensioner? Bought new belt, and tensioner pulley, put it all back together, still nothing. Engine starts fine, blade belt and clutch work fine, but won't even try to move. With the tension set, the belt won't budge. Loosen the temsioner, everything turns fine. I was thinking possibly broken key in crankshaft pulley, but it's tight. Turn the pulley and the engine turns fine. Looking for any suggestions, anybody remember these "classics"?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The rear frame section of these mowers has changed very little over the past 20 or 30 years, the problem here is with so many parts in between I can write 20 pages worth and get little for my effort... A diagram might be helpful but in short, the engine pulley turns the transmission belt which in turn goes around the tensioner pulley and the transmission pulley which in turn turns the gears inside the transmission...

I have never in 12 years had a sheared key, not saying it can't happen but it has never happened to me.
I've had those little hex set screws come loose or go missing, thou.
Sometimes checking those for tightness...

Is the transmission in a gear other than N or R?

If so the outer shafts of the transmission should be turning when the engine is running, these go through couplings and towards the outer wheel belt pulleys, which engage the wheel belts which engage the wheels themselves. A missing c-clip on the outer shafts as it goes through the frame here is a common failure.

Somewhere in all of that, power isn't getting through.

Last edited by herler; 05-14-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes, I really wish it was something stupid I'd done. Blade clutch engages fine, but with the engine running, the belt doesn't turn. Try to turn it by hand, and it feels like something is siezed, but there's no sign of the belt burning. Loosen the tensioner, and the belt turns fine, the drive pulley on the trans turns fine, and drives the shafts. Turn the pulley on the crankshaft, and the engine turns. Sure seems like something should be happening.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok, well, the secret was to get at it in the daylight, not working at night with a drop light. The tensioner pulley, even though it spun fine, binds up as soon as I put pressure on it. Got it all back apart last night, after doing all my mowing with my 21", and found the new belt damaged as well, so, back to the parts store.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bearings inside that dang tensioner, they fail every so often.
Sure wish there was a way to rebuild them.
The bearing itself is hardly $5

But as things stand you have to replace the whole tensioner.
$20

At least it's still on the cheap side.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, now I pay the price for being tired, and frustrated, and miserable. It drive fine, but at some point when I was fighting with the thing, I managed to break the governor control. So, back to the parts store, again!

Moral of the story, work smart! Use your brain, don't be a 2 year old.