Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thoughts and Tips on Dissolving 46-0-0 Urea

I Have 4- 50lb Bags of 46-0-0 urea left from last fall thought I'd try dissolving it an spraying it as a liquid on my shop an home lawn to see what the results would be! Heres my questions the tank that will be holding this product is a 550 gal tank pulling from bottom of tank 1- what's the best way to dissolve and mix? 2-what is the proper water to 46-0-0 urea ratio? 3- after being dissolved how much aggitation will it need, to be before mixed with water and herbicide? 4- any other thoughts or ideas of products to dissolve? my thoughts where potash, and possibly mixing liquid iron in there as well! THOUGHTS IDEAS Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For urea applied to a non irrigated lawn, I like 10 or more gallons of water per pound of urea. You can add soluble iron at label rates, up to 1/2 pound of potash and your common herbicides that permit mixing with liquid fertilizers. Sprayed urea greens grass up fast and fades in 21-30 days. It is not something that can be expected to last all season and it should not be double dosed in hopes of getting more life out of it. It should be applied lightly and often. What kind of grass is this going on? Cool season grasses should not be getting a lot of nitrogen in the summer. The time to feed is in the fall.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So you're going to dissolve the slow-release prills to have all of the urea in solution right now??? It would be interestting to see how quickly that concentration(46%) will volatize from the tank... the greater the smell ,,, the more that's volatizing... maybe none...
Let us know the outcome of the experiment... sounds like you're going for quick greenup too,,, but greendoctor was right about not fertilizing too early in the Spring...
Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

At what rate will you be applying this Nitrogen? Are you going to water it in? In my experience with warm season grasses it doesn't take much to cause significant burning if left on the leaves.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
For urea applied to a non irrigated lawn, I like 10 or more gallons of water per pound of urea. You can add soluble iron at label rates, up to 1/2 pound of potash and your common herbicides that permit mixing with liquid fertilizers. Sprayed urea greens grass up fast and fades in 21-30 days. It is not something that can be expected to last all season and it should not be double dosed in hopes of getting more life out of it. It should be applied lightly and often. What kind of grass is this going on? Cool season grasses should not be getting a lot of nitrogen in the summer. The time to feed is in the fall.
This is going on cool season grasses!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieDude View Post
At what rate will you be applying this Nitrogen? Are you going to water it in? In my experience with warm season grasses it doesn't take much to cause significant burning if left on the leaves.
My sprayer is set up to spray 1.5gal/1000 sq. ft. this will be applied to cool season turf also...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

If you use Greendoctors dillution rate of 10 gallons water to 1 lb urea that's only .075lb N per 1,000sq ft (at 1.5 gal/1000 actual spray) which shouldn't cause any burn.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used to use about 50 pounds of urea per 80 gallons of water--however I sprayed at 2.6 gallons of solution per 1000 sqft. In warm weather high concentrations of urea can burn the grass.
Add the urea, add the water and then stir with a canoe paddle. (Or a shovel). Do not start the pump as the filter will be immediately clogged. Best to wait overnight to be sure the urea is completly dissolved. Be ready to clean the filter if needed. Once dissoved, add the herbicide and you need only minor agitation to keep the herbicide in suspension. Iron can stain--could end up with a brown tank.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

My next question would be is there anyway to make it more of a slow release??? Add some Uflexx???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I mix UFLEXX or UMAXX all the time with 21-0-0. If you mix the UFLEXX with urea you will be reducing the amount of time the nitrogen will remain stabilized. Just go buy a box of Hydrexx which is used to make the UFLEXX products.
Posted via Mobile Device