Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Not getting enough mowing contracts.....HELP!!

Whats up everyone, so far ive passed out alotttt of flyers and have regularly put ads on craigslist. Ive gotten many calls about spring cleanups, mulching, tree removal, planting, and similar projects but the amount of lawn cutting contracts is at a minimum...

Is there anything that i can do to establish more cutting contracts, right now I have about 10 but my goal is 50 for this year. Its still surprisingly cold here in western new york, 38 degrees today, so thats maybe why people are hesitant to call and set up mowing...

any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How many fliers have you put out? Do you have a "1st" page ranking on google?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
How many fliers have you put out? Do you have a "1st" page ranking on google?
so far approximately 3500 flyers, with about 1000 more in the next week

whats a 1st page ranking on google?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

What has worked for me, every week my local newspaper lists properties sold from one person to another. Gives me first and last name, address and the amount sold. I then target those homes knowing that when most people buy homes they almost always wanna change something in the yard. Just an idea, might work for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppaving View Post
so far approximately 3500 flyers, with about 1000 more in the next week

whats a 1st page ranking on google?
I'm sorry. Do you have a website on the first page of google? I would add this to your arsenal.

I would try to put out at least 10,000 fliers. The more the better. Print advertising is 1-3%, but even at 1% percent consistently would be nice. The numbers aren't in our favor, that's why you should do at least 10,000 fliers.

You could also call up a local LCO. He might have leads with yards so small that he would rather not even touch. This helped me my first year.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppaving View Post
Whats up everyone, so far ive passed out alotttt of flyers and have regularly put ads on craigslist. Ive gotten many calls about spring cleanups, mulching, tree removal, planting, and similar projects but the amount of lawn cutting contracts is at a minimum...

Is there anything that i can do to establish more cutting contracts, right now I have about 10 but my goal is 50 for this year. Its still surprisingly cold here in western new york, 38 degrees today, so thats maybe why people are hesitant to call and set up mowing...

any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!!
The reason is probably because it is 38 degrees and grass is not growing so no one is thinking about paying someone to cut their lawns. Give it sometime and im sure more calls will come in.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

As someone once told me, you should be glad...
Because if it was that easy, EVERYBODY would be doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmike View Post
The reason is probably because it is 38 degrees and grass is not growing so no one is thinking about paying someone to cut their lawns. Give it sometime and im sure more calls will come in.
Exactly, I would strongly encourage you to keep passing out flyers, a thousand more and another thousand and follow up with a thousand behind that and then if you're still not up to 50 just keep passing out flyers, not to discourage you but don't be afraid to think in the tens of thousands should it come to that, you have to do what it takes and I know you can do it.

Because you're doing the do, man.
It just takes time.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I sent out 2500 full color postcards via EDDM back in march when the temps were in the 60's. Right away I got 5 calls, and three weekly mowing accounts. Then it snowed and got cold again and the calls stopped. This past week, I got three more calls from the same flyers, nearly a month later. Don't worry people aren't thinking about mowing yet because of the weather. It seems to be more weather related than calender driven. Snowing in April will cause people to stay in hibernation and ignore the lawn, even if it already started to green up and grow.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

3500 is a lot? I do that in one good solid day.
This spring I've gotten out 23k fliers, 39k magnetic business cards, and am about 11k deap in normal business cards so far...and still passing them out.
If 3500 isnot working, keep going evry day till you are full. Once the grass starts shootin up your phone won't stop ringing!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc33 View Post
3500 is a lot? I do that in one good solid day.
This spring I've gotten out 23k fliers, 39k magnetic business cards, and am about 11k deap in normal business cards so far...and still passing them out.
If 3500 isnot working, keep going evry day till you are full. Once the grass starts shootin up your phone won't stop ringing!
Posted via Mobile Device
That's ALOT of money.
How are your results ?
Posted via Mobile Device