The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-13-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
That's ALOT of money.
How are your results ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Its a tad too soon to tell. This is the first year I've tried to give my entire service area 2 adverts and half 3. From areas that have gotten multiple adverts I have noticed a pick in calls after the 2nd and 3rd time out. Just got a new account yesterday because she admired my determination to rehit the same neighborhood again. People may ignore earlier adverts, but once you get temps in the 60s and 70s they call....and once he grass starts growing fast I literaly get 50+ calls a day. Overall 1-2%...some areas boom, some not a peep. What really matter is getting as much out as humanly possibly once it warms up enough for people to notice, till a week or two after you start mowing. I start Monday, Monday night ill stay out al night passing out cards, come home Tuesday morn, grap my equipment and head out. 42+ hours of non stop work, then repeat Thursday night into Friday. Its 100 hour a week hell for the the frist two weeks, but it pays off gloriously for the rest of the year :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

So if you land 50% of the 1% of leads you get you should be gaining 130 new accounts per year? That's a lot of growth per year.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Member

That's about right. Every year I need about 40-50 new accounts to replace those that moved, didn't pay bills, switched services over a dollar or two, I didn't offer a renual, or just was not happy with me for whatever reason. This year with expansion I'm hoping for some whre between 75 and 125 new accounts depending how much my hours my new guy can handle working vs what he says he can.

Getting 1% calls is easy, but a lot of the calls are for stuff I don't do or don't want to do for people, fert, tree trimming, bushes, mulch, airation, lawn rolling, whatever. I like mowing so I pretty much stick to that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppaving View Post
Whats up everyone, so far ive passed out alotttt of flyers and have regularly put ads on craigslist. Ive gotten many calls about spring cleanups, mulching, tree removal, planting, and similar projects but the amount of lawn cutting contracts is at a minimum...

Is there anything that i can do to establish more cutting contracts, right now I have about 10 but my goal is 50 for this year. Its still surprisingly cold here in western new york, 38 degrees today, so thats maybe why people are hesitant to call and set up mowing...

any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!!
Ask any of you present customers if they are members of Angie's List. If they are, ask them to post a review of you, your company, and services performed. Angie's list is a great sales channel that only your customers can post you too. All members pay to belong, and in turn, you do not run into a lot of "Tire Kickers" looking to beat you down on rate....just another FREE advertising venue
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc33 View Post

Getting 1% calls is easy, but a lot of the calls are for stuff I don't do or don't want to do for people, fert, tree trimming, bushes, mulch, airation, lawn rolling, whatever. I like mowing so I pretty much stick to that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Right there is the key
Some people looking for one company to do all there needs
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Right there is the key
There are some things I won't do as well. However, I have a landscaper that I can refer that work to. He refers me the stuff he won't do. It's a win-win. Everyone is happy.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
There are some things I won't do as well. However, I have a landscaper that I can refer that work to. He refers me the stuff he won't do. It's a win-win. Everyone is happy.
This.

As a solo, I cant do everything and have to decline jobs based on scope of work or size of job. I am in with another company who also runs in my area. I give him leads on jobs that are too big for me, and in return he gives me mowing accounts that he doesn't want, or have time to do.

He is going to do a small pave stone patio for one of my customers as I dont have the know how to do it. When talking to my customer, I basically sell them on having this company do it, and arrange for them to call the customer. Then when I talk to him, I give him all the details including what I charge for services. If my customer asks what they would charge for weekly service, he adds $10-$20 to my price just so the customer sees a perceived value in the price I charge. Also, he shows the customer a discount on the work they are quoting, as a "referral" discount. Again, this shows the customer that they are getting a better deal by staying with me, and working with my recommended company.

At the end of the day everyone is happy. Customer has what they want with the perception of a special deal. I have built trust with my customer, and the other company gets more work and another customer.

I don't have any animosity toward other companies. When I see them out, I wave, if they are across the street, I will say hi, BS for a few min and get some cards.

As the spring gets going and grass starts growing people will start calling. I just had two more calls, and subsequently two more weekly accounts on saturday from my EDDM mailing that went out in March.

It will come, just have to wait till the customers notice that the grass needs done.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i haven't passed out near that many flyers this year, the 1st page ranking on google has worked well and i just stick to that. Best investment ever. latley i get 2 or 3 calls a day from people who find me online. thats good for me anyways. I get a good bit that want want one time jobs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppaving View Post
so far approximately 3500 flyers, with about 1000 more in the next week

whats a 1st page ranking on google?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Right there is the key
Yup, and I lose a decent amount of work cause of it. But I mow grass cause I enjoy it and I fil my day up so I don't really have any time or interest in doing other things I don't realy like to do. Nor have the time for mulitple trips, quotes, equipment ect. 65-70+ hours a week mowing is enough for me.
For the first time I'm offering mulch and bush triming, but thats just to keep my employee busy when things slow down
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc33 View Post
depending how much my new guy can handle working vs what he says he can.
Oh yeah, yeah, I almost forgot.