Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How are the walk behind edgers?

I am really thinking about getting a walk behind bed edger from gravely when I order my mower.

Currently I do them all by hand with an edging shovel each spring. My contracts do not pay me to do them throughout the season. After a year they are all pretty much gone and it is almost like cutting a new edge.

My question is whether or not these actually made a nice visible edge ready to go. It looks like from what I have seen they just make a small slice into the ground like an 1/8 inch thick and a few inches deep and thats it. And you have to go back with a shovel anyway and stick the shovel into the slice and dig all the dirt out to make the edge.. Is this true?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what? why on earth would you not edge them all season long?

it's included with the price i get to mow their lawn. when i come back in the spring the edge is still there so there's no long amount of work needed to get them back into shape. getting them into shape should be something you only have to do 1 time. after that it gets edged every time i mow the yard all season long.

i never use a shovel either. i just did one a few weeks ago with my stick edger. it was about 6" over the sidewalk. badly neglected. i have to edge it working it back and forth the whole way around and then come back with a trimmer to get it all cut out. takes a long time and it sucks but i don't do it often enough to justify buying a walk behind edger.

a walk behind edger will do a much better job and do it faster than a stick edger on this type of thing.

a walk behind or a stick edger will cut up to 3" deep.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about a bed edger or a sidewalk edger?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2013, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
what? why on earth would you not edge them all season long?

it's included with the price i get to mow their lawn. when i come back in the spring the edge is still there so there's no long amount of work needed to get them back into shape. getting them into shape should be something you only have to do 1 time. after that it gets edged every time i mow the yard all season long.

i never use a shovel either. i just did one a few weeks ago with my stick edger. it was about 6" over the sidewalk. badly neglected. i have to edge it working it back and forth the whole way around and then come back with a trimmer to get it all cut out. takes a long time and it sucks but i don't do it often enough to justify buying a walk behind edger.

a walk behind edger will do a much better job and do it faster than a stick edger on this type of thing.

a walk behind or a stick edger will cut up to 3" deep.
It must be a regional thing, because around here all the companies i used to work for before i had my own business and all the companies i see only edge one or two or three times a season.. it just isnt the norm to do it every week. I have mentioned it several times to customers when i first get them and they all look at me like i have three heads. I have one property that i do do it at every couple weeks but i just use the trimmer upside down to do it.

And to the second reply, yes i am talking about a bed edger. We dont have walkways around here, rural areas.

Is there such a machine that will basically create a new bed edge?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2013, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
It must be a regional thing, because around here all the companies i used to work for before i had my own business and all the companies i see only edge one or two or three times a season.. it just isnt the norm to do it every week. I have mentioned it several times to customers when i first get them and they all look at me like i have three heads. I have one property that i do do it at every couple weeks but i just use the trimmer upside down to do it.

And to the second reply, yes i am talking about a bed edger. We dont have walkways around here, rural areas.

Is there such a machine that will basically create a new bed edge?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes. It is called a bed edger. You were describing a sidewalk edger in your first post. A bed edger makes quick work of a dissolved edge when it is not soaking wet. A sidewalk edger is meant for making a narrow, vertical edge when hard surface and turf areas meet and a bed edger creates a vertical cut on the turf side and a beveled cut on the bed side discharging into the bed to be cleaned out or spread out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For maintaining bed edges flip the trimmer vertical
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I often use my Tanaka TLE-600 walkbehind edger to redefine existing beds-does a great job on the walks and driveways too.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

oh seems you are talking about a bed edger. that's a different thing altogether. i never use a bed edger and i never edge beds. most all of them in my area have some type of border around the edge so you just trim around them. others just have mulch or pine straw and i just mow right up to the border and spray any weeds or grass that grow inside the border.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

If you get a Brown or a EZ Trench they will make a nice well defined bed edge. They have an adjustable depth. You are talking minutes to do a bed edge vs the hour or so with a shovel. Pricey though. Around 2200 -2900 depending on model.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

think the tool you are after is a bed redefiner, think stihl as well as echo make one, these are the hand held versions, the echo works great for this, about 4 inches deep and 3 inches wide, need to do when soil is semi dry and they run about $600, i take my string trimmer sideways when done to cut a nice sharp edge along the grass line, the pull behind ones that create a new bed edge are around the $3000 range but are difficult to cut an existing bed edge because the wheels will fall in any little bit of trench left, they do cut a deeper finer edge than the handheld version, but hard to follow an existing edge imo. the echo one i use is the BRD-280, and when using when the soil is damp may require several passes to get through the damp soil drying as you expose it, it beats the shovel in alot of situations, the stick edger is for sandy southern soil or around all my concrete, hope this helps