Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Help learning to price Lawns

Hi you guys i'm really new to doing big lawns for a reality type company the lil residential's I can bid those pretty effectively and make money but this big lawn i'm just not sure of what should I charge for the first mow and then what should I be charging there after for weekly maintenance of said lawn let me know what you all think thank you for your time.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2013, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Labor & materials, materials in this case being dump fees.

This looks like the kind of job where if you gave a firm price, you work your butt off trying to make a profit. Sweating 'till you're blind you take your shirt off and hang it on a post to dry. Dog tired at the end of the day you forget your shirt.
Going back the next day you ask "Have you seen my shirt? I lost my shirt on that one."
Old 05-11-2013, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Member

How do you estimate "little lawns"? If you just suck a number out of thin air and hope it works you're not estimating, you'd be ballparking. Estimating any property should be based on actual performance numbers derived from time/performance analysis at which point it does not matter what size property you estimate. You don't say what size the property is and it wouldn't matter anyway, I've got a 60" mower which I may or may not be able to use on that property, but if all you have is a 36" your times are way different. Also consider if this a contract or a pay as you go situation, do you need do an initial clean up (trash) which from he pics I would say you do. Is your mower capable of handling grass that thick, and tall - when it (the grass) is dry!!, or do you need to bushhog it the first time (which means you would need to sub it out or rent one). Chances are you will have to double cut it the first time before you can even start dropping it to the correct cutting height. If this is a (seasonal/annual) contract job, you can consider incorporating the initial clean up cost into the monthly fee, which means less money up front and you can argue you give them a "free"(!) clean up, which will help down the road.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

This is why I do hourly. I give them a ballpark area of how much my service will cost. But if they call me once a month and the grass is 2 feet high and I have to triple cut, then I stay longer and thus more $$$. Worked great for me so far and kept most of my clients weekly and bi-weekly!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Realize how much you want to make per hour, Then figure out what your actually making per hour everyday, Then meet somewhere in between that area, don't forget to add in dump cost, materials, and the price of a new shirt
Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four_Seasons View Post
This is why I do hourly. I give them a ballpark area of how much my service will cost. But if they call me once a month and the grass is 2 feet high and I have to triple cut, then I stay longer and thus more $$$. Worked great for me so far and kept most of my clients weekly and bi-weekly!
I don't ever give people an hourly price, but I live in a heavily populated soul sucking environment
Old 05-12-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Gothca thanks you guys I don't think I under bid myself then by what your all saying on the job I may have over bid the bi weekly but that's ok i'm just glad to know I didn't underbid my first mow here cause I would have to rent equipment but I live in haying country in Washington so my uncle has the brush hog and john deere tractor that I can rent. But thank you all so much for your input.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you don't under bid. The average LCO with 45 accounts- if they received $5 more per weekly service ... Well do the math on the month by month
Posted via Mobile Device