Register free!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
They're called parkways in many areas.

The Chief, i think would recommend SDI.
Parkways, mow strips, *ucked up tiny areas that are owned by the city but you are supposed to maintain, a stupid little strip of grass with street trees that aren't planted properly ..... etc ...... Get rid of the turf grass and plant something more appropriate. If it needs water use SDI like the witch master said.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in my area , no sprinklers are allowed in the county right of way , generally the sidewalk and past it is county property , you must spray over walk
Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I was thinking drip line while I was giving an estimate today. My only issue with drip is tearing everything up to put it down. I don't have any where around here to rent a plow, only a trencher.

I'm looking real hard at trading my tractor in for a ditch witch mini skid with a plow
Posted via Mobile Device
Your competition in chesapeake beach all use plows , if you trench , first you wont make much money, too slow and way too muck restoration , second you wont get much more work . You will regret selling your tractor for a mini skid with a plow , you can buy a good used plow for the price of the attachment for the mini skid . I know of 3 long established companies that work that area (20 years +) they are agressive and can play the price game . two of them I have been battling since the early 1980's . They all plow ( only the new and inexperienced trench in Md). I am smaller and leaner , I know their work and weakness , I use this when selling the job . You being new , wont have this advantage . Not having a plow puts you at a BIG disadvantage .
Old 04-14-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
Here in my area , no sprinklers are allowed in the county right of way , generally the sidewalk and past it is county property , you must spray over walk
Spraying over sidewalks, patios, driveways etc. is your choice not the county's. You choose to irrigate the ROW.

Not you personally Md
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The count will fine you and turn off your water unless the heads are removed , the cable companies were complaining that they had to get a permit to lay cable in the right of way , and call miss utility , then they were getting complaints about broken irrigation systems , well the county amended the law and no irrigaton in the county right of way . Now spraying over is the only way allowed , stupid .... yes but the fine is $ 1000.00
Old 04-14-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have installed drip with a trimmer and a edger and hose. I use the trimmer to mark the line then I use the edger to cut the trench. Then take the water hose and water down the trench. Drop in the line and press it down work great. We have bought a heavy duty edge maker and got a straight blade for it so now we can cut a 3" deep line. Haven't tried it yet.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The count will fine you and turn off your water unless the heads are removed , the cable companies were complaining that they had to get a permit to lay cable in the right of way , and call miss utility , then they were getting complaints about broken irrigation systems , well the county amended the law and no irrigaton in the county right of way . Now spraying over is the only way allowed , stupid .... yes but the fine is $ 1000.00
That is what i was getting at.

I see 3 choices

1) tell the county to maintain it
2) water by hand
3) round up

We don't have any sidewalks here that arent private. We do have ROWs both county and state which are Pita
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Your competition in chesapeake beach all use plows , if you trench , first you wont make much money, too slow and way too muck restoration , second you wont get much more work . You will regret selling your tractor for a mini skid with a plow , you can buy a good used plow for the price of the attachment for the mini skid . I know of 3 long established companies that work that area (20 years +) they are agressive and can play the price game . two of them I have been battling since the early 1980's . They all plow ( only the new and inexperienced trench in Md). I am smaller and leaner , I know their work and weakness , I use this when selling the job . You being new , wont have this advantage . Not having a plow puts you at a BIG disadvantage .
I'm not to worried about my competition. The only company that I really worry about is automatic rain. I have my own prices and I don't give customers a reason to go somewhere else. If they want to go somewhere else, i dont lose sleep over it. Maybe one day ill have a larger share of the market, I hope. But I'm happy with slowly expanding.

No one around here rents the plows that's why I'm looking at buying one. The tractor is useless to me I need to sell it either way lol. Mini skid is a good option because of the attachments and I can pull it with my 150

Where are you need out of?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Solution .... don't plant in the right-o-way or plant something that doesn't require irrigation.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Solution .... don't plant in the right-o-way or plant something that doesn't require irrigation.
All of our sub divisions are like that. Everyone has a strip of grass on the other side that they homeowner is responsible for. Which is kind of ironic that you "own" the property but have to abide by their rules. To me it looks like crap with a lush green lawn and then a thinned out strip in front of it.