Register free!

Old 07-16-2012, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Overseeding with Black Beauty Ultra

Anyone ever hear of this seed? Will this be fine for Northern Maryland? Also, will this overtake my older grass eventually? I have a lot of old wide blade fescue that I want this new seed to "overtake it"
Old 07-17-2012, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"Overtake" does not really work. For best results get rid of old, rough grass.
Black Beauty is good, but there are many good seeds out there. And it contains about 10 percent "Frontier" perennial rye , (not suitable for temps over 90 degrees.)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...pc6Rew&cad=rja

Most seed companies change their seed ingredients from year to year, altering varieties slightly based on seed availability.

Scotts is probably the leader in seed--their tall fescue blend is a good bet. If you want professional or stadium quality, you may need to go to the online to the Seed Superstore. You want disease resistance. And a variety that can creep with rhizomes. Top seed would be wasted, though if you didn't get rid of your old junky grass.

Spray with Roundup in August and remove old sod with sod cutting machine. Apply starter fertilizer. Loosen soil and sow new seed when temps come down to about 85 in late August or early September. Rake it in so the seed is mostly buried about 1/4 inch deep. Water every day for 30 days. Then feed again to build thickness.

Simpler...and costs about the same...call a sod farm and let the professionals do the job. Call now--its going to be a busy year.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

do I need a sod cutter? or can I just "dethatch" the old lawn.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Black Beauty will provide a deep green lawn that is disease & insect resistant and drought tolerant. Jonathan Green blended this mix specifically for the mid-atlantic region. Riggle is correct that it will not overtake the existing turf.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-17-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

can I get away with just killing the grass, mowing the lawn very short, then dethatching it with my lawn mower with a dethatching blade? Then put an inch or so of top soil over it and seed?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precator View Post
can I get away with just killing the grass, mowing the lawn very short, then dethatching it with my lawn mower with a dethatching blade? Then put an inch or so of top soil over it and seed?
yes you can...well, as long as it's not bermuda

i would do exactly what you just said, then top dress it with compost and aerate the sh1t out of it...then seed and water
Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think Black Beauty is the best fescue out there color wise My question is does anyone know where I can get it must cheaper than $125 a bag
Old 07-18-2012, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

my local sod farm uses that as his primary seed and it is very nice. The price tag is the reason that I did not buy it.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 AM
LawnSite Member

i was thinking of doing the same thing

is 125 for a 25 lb bag?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Add an inch or so of topsoil--instead or proper soil preparation? Not so sure this is a good idea. That much topsoil would be several tons, probably. How many sqft are we talking?
For a thousand sqft--that would be about 3 yards per thousand sqft, or about 3000 to 6000 pounds.

Perhaps it would work better to skip the topsoil and power rake more. Then use double the usual amount of seed. Then water three time per day for 30 days--water is cheap--compared to labor--and you don't want to do this twice.