Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Possibly the worst thing you can do for your lawn. Lets take a big heavy object and and roll it all over grass as it is trying to establish itself from dormancy. Do you see farmers out in there fields after their crop is just popped up and rolling it flat to smooth out the field. As DAQuality Lawns said, NO, NO, No, No, No, No, No. Any lawn company that it promoting this as a service is doing their customer a disservice. It make me mad and upset everytime I see it. It is ok however to roll a lawn when it is seeded to make the seed contact the dirt, but why cause more compaction when most of you guys are already compacting the lawn anyway with your same direction stripes and big z's.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Necessary when getting a hybrid Bermuda table top flat. Top dress, overseed, roll and get a reel mower. Waste of time on low end yards. Kind of hard to tell a customer I'm going to aerate your lawn to reduce compaction, then roll it to make it flat. Might get you a funny look.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsenDW220 View Post
May I ask the pro's/cons of yard rolling, what to expect as far as results to my situation and what an approximate charge per sq. foot is? A little education on rolling is greatly appreciated. I placed my modular home in a worked field some 10 years ago and the ground is still very soft days after a rain, and think I'm a prime candidate for needing rolling.
Have you surveyed your home to see if its settled? Any smart person that builds modular around here puts them on a concrete slab.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdguth View Post
Possibly the worst thing you can do for your lawn. Lets take a big heavy object and and roll it all over grass as it is trying to establish itself from dormancy. Do you see farmers out in there fields after their crop is just popped up and rolling it flat to smooth out the field. As DAQuality Lawns said, NO, NO, No, No, No, No, No. Any lawn company that it promoting this as a service is doing their customer a disservice. It make me mad and upset everytime I see it. It is ok however to roll a lawn when it is seeded to make the seed contact the dirt, but why cause more compaction when most of you guys are already compacting the lawn anyway with your same direction stripes and big z's.
That's a poor anonolgy. You must not be very familiar with farming practices around the country. Farmers don't require or need a field to be smooth as a pool table, but farmers do use very expensive tillage tools to smooth out and/or firm their seed beds before planting. Farmers don't "mow" their crops like people do their lawns.

Don't make a sweeping statement like you did in the second part of the highlighted lines. It may not be right for your immediate area, but it is right for many areas, including mine. Here, frost heave can leave sandy/loamy type soils very rough and lumpy. Rolling them not only helps firm the soil back up to hold the turf in place better, especially where there are any hills that can be affected by run-off, it packs back down the frost heave lines/lumps.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That's a poor anonolgy. You must not be very familiar with farming practices around the country. Farmers don't require or need a field to be smooth as a pool table, but farmers do use very expensive tillage tools to smooth out and/or firm their seed beds before planting. Farmers don't "mow" their crops like people do their lawns.

Don't make a sweeping statement like you did in the second part of the highlighted lines. It may not be right for your immediate area, but it is right for many areas, including mine. Here, frost heave can leave sandy/loamy type soils very rough and lumpy. Rolling them not only helps firm the soil back up to hold the turf in place better, especially where there are any hills that can be affected by run-off, it packs back down the frost heave lines/lumps.
Sorry, maybe my anonolgy wasn't the best, I do have a little farming background from my family ties and I know that they use machines called a rolling reel, to smooth the ground, and help crumble the dirt, but I also know that they dont plant in the mud or when it is wet because that causes compaction. That is why they plant when the ground is dry and firm. Not because they need to make it firm. Rolling soft turf is the same a driving a piece of farm machinery over a wet damp ground. It is not a good idea and causes compaction. Obviouslly they don't mow there crops.

You are right, I don't have sandy soil where I am at, so I guess I really don't know your types. However, if turf pushes up because of frost you dont need to roll it back into the ground in my opinion. We have plenty of frost where I am as well over the winter and i personally think it is just fine as it helps to break soil loose as the frost comes out of the ground. It will naturally firm back up on its own and as you roll it you are just compacting it instead of making it do it own naturally thing.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In the soil here where I am at, which is semi sandy, the frost is heavier anywhere the soil is also heavier, so we get ridges or humps when the ground freezes. They stay like that unless I/we roll them back down as the frost is leaving the ground, or I can get on it with my roller right after several days of rain (like we've had lately, with 4 more dyas predicted).
Old 04-14-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Patriot Services;4741683]Have you surveyed your home to see if its settled? Any smart person that builds modular around here puts them on a concrete slab.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE

My home is on block pilings and yes, it's time for a re-leveling.

I don't know if the farmers analogy came from my initial post, but the simple reason for asking if I'm a good candidate for rolling is due to my land being mushy due to years and years of tilling/planting. I'm not worried about "rolling new grass trying to establish itself after dormancy" due to the fact that I have very little "real" grass... We call it "field grass".
Old 04-15-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The problem I always had is that the Tractor ruts deeper into the soft ground than the roller corrects for... I use rollers by hand in spots necessary for rolling...
Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
The problem I always had is that the Tractor ruts deeper into the soft ground than the roller corrects for... I use rollers by hand in spots necessary for rolling...
Rent a heavier roller and roll the whole yard flat and your tractor wont sink into the soil anymore.

might help to do it after a light rain or light sprinkling. maybe someone can confirm this.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

gdguth,,,
Farmers mow hay, oats and of course,,, wheat,,, all the time...
here we call those rolling wheels, 'culti-packer' and I really wish they'd make lawnsize cultipackers instead of those stupid smooth rollers...

For anyone who has watched how those old cultipackers work,,, it worlds of difference in the finished quality...