Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Fertilizer supplier/advice..

I live in Minot, ND and have been having a lot of issues finding a decent fertilizer to use. I have spreaders and a 40 GALLON sprayer with a 7' foot boom. So, either liquid or granular would work for me. I also have a lot of issues with hard ground. What would be some of the remedies for this and please be descriptive on amounts used per 1,000 square foot or whatever the measuring tool is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm in an agricultural community. My best source for commercial grade chemicals is a farm supply named "Truepointe". They have a lawn division.
My second choice would be to drive to my nearest John Deere Supply.

Both places have people on staff that can give me LOCAL advise.

My sprayers are for weed control. Fertilizer is granular so the grass is fed from the root zone.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Remedy for hard ground is moisture--and plenty of it. Maybe after winter it will swell up and you get mud.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you would like to alleviate 'hard ground' then I would consider adding OM to it... Irrigating ONLY when absolutely necessary and mulch mowing...

Does your 'hard ground' soak up water adequately,,, or is it more of a clay that causes water to puddle???

You might also be tempted to use a P Free dish/laundry soap to break up the surface tension of water/rain, for a while,, to allow better infiltration and perculation... Be sure it is NOT an anti-bacterial product... the AI you want will be things like Laureth Sulfate which are supposedly safe types of surfactants...
Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

What is OM and yes it does puddle quite a bit now that you mention it. Is there a square footage ratio for the dish soap idea?
Old 04-16-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I was told by a horticulturalist that all of the yards on on the side of town I am having trouble with have a high alcalai content... Tried a ton of lime and gypsum. Neither worked.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

High Alkaline is high pH so lime will add to the problem not solve it, if we are both talking about the same thing... I've heard that gypsum works with clay but have never gone that route, so no comments there...

OM = Organic Matter, which is important for any soil... If it is hard soil that puddles,,, there is a good chance you're dealing with clay... you needs to always check out what kind of soil texture(clay/sand) you are working with... the best loam is a mixture of clay and sand rich in OM, even SOM...

I like to apply compost to trouble areas,,, even a sandy compost from cattle barns,, if the soil is heavy or more clay than sand...
Do you 'mulch mow', side shoot or bag the clippings each mowing?? Do you stay off of it when it is wet???

What I do with heavy soil lawns is focus all the cultural practices on developing soil structure...