Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2000, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

What size customer base do you have? Like 20 or 100. Are they mostly residential or commercial? And do you work part time or full time -that definitely affects your customer base. About how often do you get new customers? Like every day or once a week or once a month? AND FINALLY are you satisfied with the size of your customer base? or are you always looking for new customers and ways to expand?

J MAN
Old 08-24-2000, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Part time.
24 lawns of various size done over a 14 hour period per week (2 days with maintenance)
I do much better at the beginning and end of season with extras over a large customer base (thatching, spring/fall cleans, edging)

I'm looking to expand the applications end next year.

Yes I could use a few more but not many.
Old 08-24-2000, 07:29 AM

Ditto for me (I mean same as mow ed).
But I need to slow down...gonna burn out if I take on any more work and still work another job. just gotta get another couple of customers so I can cut a couple loose (next season) that I don't like. This will also condense the route to a smaller area to give me more cuts in less time.

jeffyr
Old 08-24-2000, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Member

customer base

Part time. My customer base has steadied off for now, but always on the lookout for more. Just finishing my first season. Like it so far, enough to look into investing money (equipment I have is small, but paid for). Just trying to get my name out there.
Old 08-24-2000, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

jman- fulltime here with 83 accounts in my 6th year and wish i would have started 15 years ago instead of spending the worst 10 years in a foundry...i have 26 commercial accounts the rest residential, it is not a wealthy life by far but a good honest living that keeps me from being a couch potato... currently i have 3 emp that do a great job for me, there are several days that i run 2 trucks and the other day they take care of the schedule while i run errands and bid jobs and go fishing (NOT) i wish ...not advertising for any new jobs but word of mouth keeps em coming and when i find a better customer i cull a bad one..culled 12 at the beginnig of the season to make room for some more commercial accounts..if i can help just email me good luck with your business
Old 08-24-2000, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have just over 90 accounts now and still lookin to grow. I only have 3 commercial sites, but wish i had 90. There is an over abundance of lawn scrubs in my area. I would say that there are probably 30-40 lawn companies here. Our population is only at about 60,000. I have been talking to some other friendly companies here and they like the idea of the business license check as posted earlier on another thread.

I have a ton of residentials. But they go pretty fast. I use an Exmark 52" on almost all of them. I have a 36" WB belt drive that i can use on back yards if needed, but it is slower than my new Ariens gear drive 21".

More accounts is always nice, but this year i am really pushing for the "full service" for the lawns. SO many of my customers just want it cut and dont care about crab grass, or dandelions and so forth. They just want it cut down to the dirt so it looks like thier neighbors golf course green turf. I actually did this for a customer MUCH to my DISAPPROVAL. I pleaded with her not to make me do it. I do it though. Level one on the Exmark with Double blades. Her lawn hasnt grown an inch in over a month. It has also taken on this wonderful puke yellow color. She wont water and doesnt want me to do anything more to the lawn. I cant even fert.

We usually get about 3-4 residentials done per hour. I have 18 today, and figure ill be done by 1 or 130. (start at 8)

Dam i love my job!

Acute Cut
Old 08-24-2000, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We cut 100 lawns in five a five day week. we have one small apartment complex, one resturant and the rest are residentials. I use two 48" Bobcat mowers.Two guys cut and one guy weed wacks. I plan to get a 62" Toro to make our days shorter. Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance
Old 08-24-2000, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I have around Seventy Five lawns now. I have added five in the last week but that is unusual for this time of year. Looking to expand into commercial lawns and hire some Employees and Buy a new mower to keep up. I also plan to raise the prices on a lot of my jobs.
Old 08-24-2000, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

46 accounts, 45% commercial. Always looking for more, especially going into the Fall/Winter.

Old 08-24-2000, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

full time 2 1/2 crew doing 150 res. mows and 78 commercal mows. plus fert 1/2 of all mows.
But will only keep 3/4 of commercial mows til nxt year. sell the off
2nd year on my own no partner or boss