Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First, be sure you are using a three way at full maximum rate. Be sure to calibrate carefully...try to hit between 100 and 110 percent of the max rate. Be sure to include a spreader or surfactant. You might want to spike it with some triclopyr. Or add some Octane to the mix.

I tried some Ace three-way in late March on yellow rocket, and on the same weed four feet away about 10 days later, turned out to be cold both times and remained cold. Both treatments are having an effect...more later, with photos.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I use agristar crossroads which has 2 4-D at 34.4% and 16.5% triclopyr, both esters I pay like 39.99 a gallon and I no it is not labeled for use on turf, as it is the same chemistry as crossbow but the crossroads herbicide from agristar has a supplemental label as follows:
Broadcast Treatment of Residential, Commercial and Recreational Turf & Commercial Sod Farms -
Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run Momentum FX2 all summer long and will be adding it soon. The results are far superior to three way or amine products in my opinion and not just on the spot control. I see good long term into next season control with one application all the time.

Back in the day we would run Turflon and or spike our 3 way with turflon, but I don't recommend that for newcomers.

No matter what you use, cost is one of the things you don't have to worry so much about if you are pricing the service right. Lowballers can't afford to run speedzone, surge or FX2 much less any kind of post emergent crabgrass control and the list goes on.

Just my .02
Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fx2 all summer as well. Great kill. My favorite of all time was imprelis but that's not coming back
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I have not used speedzone, but have used Tzone, and I get just as good of kill of broad leaf weeds with the crossroads as I do Tzone, the only thing you can really do with the Sulfentrazone of 0.73% that the Tzone has is kill nutsedge, as far as crabgrass sulfentrazone does not completely kill crabgrass alone, I use prodiamine 65WDG as a pre emergent, for post quinclorac 75DF on crabgrass.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
I find that Image does wonders at suppressing poa annua at a fraction of the cost of Revolver. You just need to put down alot of water with it. A lower concentration of Image with high volume does better than a high concentration with low volume.
Image is also wasted on non irrigated lawns. If it does not rain 0.25-0.5" within a few days after application the product does not work the same. If it rains too hard, it leaches past where it is going to be effective. I find that it is great when applied in a fertilizer tank mix at 5-10 gallons per thousand. This also minimizes the tendency of the Image to stunt or yellow the desirable turf species.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-17-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like speedzone. It is expensive, but so are callbacks!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

have you ever tried chaser herbicide that has the same active ingredients as crossbow, and crossroads. I do not understand for a cool season herbicide on cool season turf why people do not use this blend more I have sprayed wild violet, henbit, spurge, and plantain and this stuff always nocks it out at 2 Oz per gallon per 1K feet, and a 80% non-ionic surfactant
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

3 way with octane on 1st round. The fast knock down it produces gets me additional accounts all the time when clients talk to their neighbors about how fast the weeds curl. Use fx2 on the 2nd round. Great product for when thee weather finally warms up in northern minnesota. I also use cross roads on hard to kill weeds like violets. Spot spray only. Smell is not my favorite. All of these I use with a surfactant No call backs. My accounts start with one property and spread. A lot of accounts with in 3 miles of my shop. It just keeps getting better. Can't wait to retire so I can do this full time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I have found that with a ester based herbicide that the smell is pretty strong, all I do then is skip the non-ionic surfactant, and instead use tide HE high efficiency detergent at 1Oz per gallon, the HE keeps the suds down, and does the same thing and the tide masks the odor and lingers for a wile you can not even hardly smell the ester any more I called tide and it contains 23% non-ionic surfactant and 18% an-ionic surfactant, which also does a good job plus the Clean Breeze Cent. LOL