Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
If there is any state you need an accountant, NY is it. Get one. Its not that much money. You don't want to overlook something. Penalties and interest and the hell they will put you through are worth it
Posted via Mobile Device
According to the Gov.taxes are the lowest them been in years!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

federal taxes are. The part they left out is when they gave the billionaire's their tax cuts, that meant cuts to the states so all the state and local taxes went through the roof to make up for it. I save a few dollars in federal taxes but my overall taxes went through the roof to subsidize them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Taking NY Governor ,lowest taxes in yrs. NY is business friendly now!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Taking NY Governor ,lowest taxes in yrs. NY is business friendly now!
I get so aggravated when I see those commercials that say "NY is business friendly" holy crap, I'm lucky all my tv's arent smashed....what a crock..business friendly...

www.CTPreservation.com

www.ChristmasDecorNY.com

"What do you mean we canít get rid of those weeds in time? Then go over there and put some fancy signs with Latin names in front of them."
Walt Disney
Old 02-25-2014, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah each county in NY is different in what tax they charge. When I first started out 5 years ago in this biz I was on quarterly a couple years in they switched me to annually through a letter. They then sent me a letter after the first quarter of my annual year saying I did not file quarterly and they charged me a few hundred bucks in fees. It took weeks to get it sorted out and every time I have called the state tax line it has always been a nightmare.

I would love to move but NY is such a beautiful place upstate with all the lakes and especially in the Adirondacks where you are now. Its tough to look elsewhere when I grew up here but the more I learn about how other states run themselves and how much easier it is for business elsewhere I cant help but think more and more about heading out.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Member

NYS is a tough state for taxes even if you don't run your own business. I can deal with it because my mowing service is my 'second career' and I can walk away from it if it gets to be too much. Right now I really enjoy having my own business, actually wish that I had committed to it more fully years ago. We have a condo in FL for the off season, but we will probably not move there full time. New York is where home and family is.
Conversely, I always encourage my children to find a financially friendlier state and go make a life there. Their economic future is going to be much more challenging than ours was and they should make use of every advantage possible. Not that I want them to move away, but, they have a lot more life ahead of them. Find a place that makes better use use of your tax dollars and stays out of your wallet so much.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the newer replies guys...

It's funny, I posted this almost a year ago....

My first season was great... Had a ton of business and I am lucky that the area I am in has a large enough population to allow me to make a good buck...

My CPA is currently working on my taxes right now but I found that as long as I stayed on top of it, it wasn't an issue... I am doing it quarterly and I was laughing at your story GardnerLL... Typical bureaucratic red tape!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Thanks for the newer replies guys...

It's funny, I posted this almost a year ago....

My first season was great... Had a ton of business and I am lucky that the area I am in has a large enough population to allow me to make a good buck...
Nice! Not sure what part of the Dacks you're from, but I graduated with a forestry degree from Paul smiths college in the late 90's. I love it up there. I can imagine our line of work can be be tough up there. Back then I used to work for a guy named Scott Benty in lake placid. Pretty good size company. I wonder if he's still around....
Glad your biz is doing great and good luck this season.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, thanks so much green thumb!

I am actually in Platty... That is so freaking cool that you graduated from Paul Smith's! What an awesome college! I wish I new about that place when I was looking at schools. I am born and raised in Boston Ma. but just moved up to Platty 3 years ago to help out my wives family. I had been saving to start a company in Boston but when we got up here we just fell in love! So I decided to start the biz up here and it's been great!

I have heard of Scott Benty and he is definitely still around.... I have heard nothing but good things about his company... One of my 10 year goals in my business plan is to open a branch in Lake Placid...

Our line of work can most certainly be tough up here but as long as you take advantage of opportunities and diversify where needed, there is a good buck to be made....

If you have time please check out my picture thread in the picture section. It is just a couple jobs from last season but you might enjoy it!
Old 03-31-2014, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

GardnerLL, that's funny. The same thing happened to me. I was quarterly, stated sent me a letter changing me to yearly, I put it back to quarterly, and then got a letter from the state saying I owed them late fees. What a load of crap.