Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Wheel Barrow

I need a new wheel barrow. I had a $50 steel one and the handle snapped in half and I popped the tire. It's mainly used for soil/dirt, but occasionally rocks/pavers, etc...

Home Depot is the most convenient...

Any suggestions on which one to get?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wheel Barrow

The orange true temper one. Has steel handles and a flat free tire. I use it mostly for mixing cement and mulch. Very good product

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I aquired one with two tires from a friend, not sure what brand but it's awesome, I've been using it since last June and have overloaded it countless times with rocks and dirt and it's sturdy as can be. I can wheel it with a light load or empty and still hold my beer can't do that with a one wheeler. I helped a friend with some mulch the other day and his had one wheel and I hated it. Just something too think about...two wheels are better than one.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

a friend has the two wheel poly Jackson one and it's nice, but it's $125....maybe worth it though? no flat-free tires...
Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the blue Jackson model. I originally bought a Jackson with a flat free tire but returned it. The flat free was just too much rolling resistance when loaded. I returned it and bought a traditional pneumatic tire model from Home Depot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

will the poly hold up better than the steel? i guess i could spend the money now and only buy once....
Old 05-13-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

the reviews on HD.com are terrible. say the barrel cracks....I have a lot of rocks in the yard so i maybe should avoid the poly?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

For strictly mulch work I use True Temper poly from Home Depot $70. Lightweight with easy to steer and maneuver handles make it the perfect mulch wheel barrow.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

i think i'm going to get the 6 cubic ft Jackson Steel with knobby tire from HD. $99. I looked at it last night and has a nice feel to it.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post
i think i'm going to get the 6 cubic ft Jackson Steel with knobby tire from HD. $99. I looked at it last night and has a nice feel to it.
That's probably the best bang for the buck. I've done some landscaping for different guys over the years, and Jackson's were the best I've used. I even worked for a guy doing stonework for a few months, and even after taking a hammer to it almost every day to clean out dried concrete/mortar mix it help up really well. As a homeowner now I got the blue Jackson at lowe's for $100. The next best options were $70, and seemed to have issues after a few years or snapped handles based on reviews. What's $100 if it lasts you 10 years (or more)?