Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-01-2013, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you use two apps of ESN per year or just a Spring app?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

usually 2 apps but it depends on the conditions mostly on the heat, and how wet it has been. This year I will probably do 3 apps because it has been really wet. This stuff will work a lot longer, and better and grass a lot greener if you core aerate first and let the granules go down into the holes from aerating.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, I put down 1000 lbs of Milorganite this weekend, mostly for the greening effect I hope to gain from the iron.

I've been reading on some research from Colorado State regarding higher N apps in the later fall with the idea of having it available in the Spring when needed without pushing excess top growth. I think I'll give it a shot the first of Oct. or so after a good aerating.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:39 AM
LawnSite Member

if you are wanting a darker green color lawn the only thing that is going to give you that is higher rates of nitrogen milorgranite is only 5% nitrogen and 4% iron I think. Why not just apply urea nitrogen if you are wanting dark green color with ESN. You can not really have very dark green grass and not have the top growth unless you are using very high percent chelated iron which urea nitrogen and ESN is cheaper plus it gives you a very dense healthy lawn.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecropia11 View Post
if you are wanting a darker green color lawn the only thing that is going to give you that is higher rates of nitrogen milorgranite is only 5% nitrogen and 4% iron I think. Why not just apply urea nitrogen if you are wanting dark green color with ESN. You can not really have very dark green grass and not have the top growth unless you are using very high percent chelated iron which urea nitrogen and ESN is cheaper plus it gives you a very dense healthy lawn.
I am so dense but what is ESN?
Old 06-06-2013, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Environmentally Smart Nitrogen, encapsulated urea at 44(?)-0-0, sold by Agrium through CPS for field crops. It's a slow released nitrogen that is released by a function of both water and temperature. It is cheap compared to "turf" fertilizers....I can buy it for $230/ton locally or $.26 per # of N per k, assuming I did my math right....

I went with Milorganite for the Iron content, I'm wary about a lot of nitrogen as the heat of summer should be coming soon. I'm thinking ESN plus aeration and overseeding this Fall.

Next year I think I'm going try an app of ESN in Spring after aeration, followed by Milorganite around Memorial Day and ESN plus aeration and overseeding in September next year. Throw in an app of Prowl for a pre emerge and an app or two of fungicide and I should have a heck of a lawn. Now to get my mower to cut cleanly without double cutting and a striping kit....
Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=dogsluvtrux;4785987]Environmentally Smart Nitrogen, encapsulated urea at 44(?)-0-0, sold by Agrium through CPS for field crops. It's a slow released nitrogen that is released by a function of both water and temperature. It is cheap compared to "turf" fertilizers....I can buy it for $230/ton locally or $.26 per # of N per k, assuming I did my math right....

No you are not doing your math right ESN is not 230$ a ton, ESN right now is not under 725$ a ton, assuming you are buying it through Crop Production Services, which per pound would be 0.3625 per pound. even straight urea nitrogen right now at crop production services is not under 575$ per ton, there is no way you are getting ESN for 230$ a ton. At 230$ a ton the would come out to 0.115$ per pound.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=cecropia11;4786063]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsluvtrux View Post
Environmentally Smart Nitrogen, encapsulated urea at 44(?)-0-0, sold by Agrium through CPS for field crops. It's a slow released nitrogen that is released by a function of both water and temperature. It is cheap compared to "turf" fertilizers....I can buy it for $230/ton locally or $.26 per # of N per k, assuming I did my math right....

No you are not doing your math right ESN is not 230$ a ton, ESN right now is not under 725$ a ton, assuming you are buying it through Crop Production Services, which per pound would be 0.3625 per pound. even straight urea nitrogen right now at crop production services is not under 575$ per ton, there is no way you are getting ESN for 230$ a ton. At 230$ a ton the would come out to 0.115$ per pound.
What would you recommend at this point in time for getting a "nice green" lawn now?Rates and pounds per sg foot.I also have a 2 acre yard I am working on.Cool season grass as well.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=cecropia11;4786063]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsluvtrux View Post

Mea culpa! The $230 was the amount to treat my lawn, not per ton...still reasonable though.

Can you correct my math? I'm not seeing where I went wrong. IF it was $230 per ton, it would be $.115 per pound, so at 44(?)-0-0 I would need 2.3# per k feet to get 1# of N, so $.26 per # of N per k?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

My CPS gave me a price of $880 a ton today