Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

That seems about right, I think it was over 500 pounds I needed to get 2# of nitrogen per 1000 or 90# per acre....I don't have the quote in front of me right now, but that's what I have in my head.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Member

In the spring I do as much as 6 pound per 1000K, you have to realize that the uptake of this is not all at once, it releases over a few months, that is why I use the 6 pounds per 1000K. I would not use that much now but in the spring you get good results. Plus I kind of based it off the Duration CR fertilizer that has a analysis of 44-00-00 that is a three month release fertilizer so looking at the charts for it shows up to 6 pounds per 1000k for the high end rate.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You should all take pix of your lawns from the angle of looking straight down at them, to get a visual of turf density and vigor... 6#/k is about the silliest waste of N that has come across this forum thus far...
Old 06-07-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

that is a 3 month 100% slow release nitrogen not urea, not straight nitrogen plus that only comes out to like 4 pounds of actual nitrogen. from six pounds. per 1000K
Old 06-07-2013, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Smallaxe:

actually it would come out to 3.15 of overall nitrogen including the polymer coating, do a little research and look at a Duration CR label, or a Polyon label and you will see for turf, for a 100% slow release fertilizer that is not that far off, as far as pounds per 1000K. That is not even the highest end, it is close but the highest rate for a 3 month 44-00-00 Duration CR fertilizer for turf is 6.4 lbs. per 1000 Sq. Ft.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I was simply replying to the question of dogsluvtrux: of what would make your yard stay a dark green color, and what I was simply saying is nitrogen is the only thing that is going to give you long last consistent dark green color. chelated iron will give you dark green color but it has more of a flash green up and yellow again affect then even urea nitrogen plus it is more expensive, it only lasts for a maximum of 7 to 14 days, strait urea nitrogen can last as long as 29 days depending on soil type, soil temp, and moisture, that is why the high end of a 3 month polymer coated urea nitrogen at the higher end will give you the best results as far as color, and yes it may produce much more top growth but unless you want to spend 85 dollars for Embark plant growth regulator you will simply have to deal with the top growth.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecropia11 View Post
that is a 3 month 100% slow release nitrogen not urea, not straight nitrogen plus that only comes out to like 4 pounds of actual nitrogen. from six pounds. per 1000K
I knew what you meant...
Old 06-08-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I forgot that amatuers talk about the product not the actual AI... the ploymer coating is now part of the guaranteed NPK rating???
Old 06-08-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I forgot that amatuers talk about the product not the actual AI... the ploymer coating is now part of the guaranteed NPK rating???
I apologize for sounding sarcastic or unkind,,, my only point is that AI is the only measure that is discussed because math isn't required at every step of a discussion, normally...
I mixed up a coucouple gallons of roundup yesterday and used 6 oz/gal.
How much active ingredient did I use???
Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Smallaxe:

It would probably depend on what kind of round up you were using. It comes in more than one strengths. talk about amateurs. Plus if you read the post you would no we were talking about polymer coated nitrogen not NPK.