Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
My point was that cool season grasses do not grow healthier when fert is applied just as it is awakening in the Spring... The second point was that when we talk about 6 pounds of N we mean 6 lbs of N, not 6 pounds of fertilizer of which 44% of it is N... that was the meaning of the Roundup question...
Anyways, there are always laws restricting the use of fertilizers(esp. containing P), being debated in the legislature and the results are never good... the proponents of banning ferts/'cides always have a reason for their side by noting that people are dumping ferts/'cide on their lawns to excess...
So when someone is irritated to hear how irresponsibly ferts are beingdumped onto lawns, you shouldn't just assume "Berrating" w/out reason, but may want to consider that your practices create a problem for everyone else...
I remember TGCL dumping fert in granules on the frozen turf of a hillside overlooking the Lake and you can bet I "berrated" them to anyone and everyone that would listen... overtime TGCL was fired by everyone in those neighborhoods...
BTW, I don't need to learn how to force green in the Spring at the expense of the roots development, during that period... but thanks for the offer...
And I don't see why having the Nitrogen there when the grass is wanting it is a bad thing...we apply fall NH3 to corn fields and spray 28% on frozen ground for wheat...both grasses. There are studies from the University of Colorado indicating a much higher utilization rate of N when a hi dose is applied late in the Fall for Spring.

And to your second point, at least on the ag side, we ALWAYS talk in use rate, not AI. 32oz of Roundup PowerMax is 32oz total, 150 # ESN per acre is just that, not 150# of the N equivalent...so when I stated in my first post that I was using 8# of 12-12-12 per 1000 feet, I'm only putting down .96 # of N, P, and K per 1000 or right at 43# (give or take) per acre. Hardly what I would call excessive, perhaps heavy on the P and K, but very light on N. I wasn't aware that the turf markets used AI, that seems like it would be horribly confusing!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Annual Grasses are different than Perennial grasses...

Lawn care is about pounds of NPK per 1000 sq.ft. of lawn... the N generally runs, 0.25#/k to 1.0#/k at various apps...

It was agricultural literature that I was reading that talked about a study as to how much N is lost in the cool soils/weather, that the plants never get to use...
I suppose those new CO studies will justify TGCL putting their 7th app on the snow B4 Christmas...

Anyways, here is one of the simplest articles about how fertilizer works in the soils for the life cycle of cool season grasses...

http://turfdisease.osu.edu/turf-dise...-fertilization

it is from Ohio and their Nov. is like our Oct... That distinction is important depending on your area and climate...

The focus is on Fall Fertilization, but it does a fairly good job on Expressing how Spring is affected and Why it is affected... The reason Why is always the most important aspect of the article...
Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a small snipet from the aforementioed article...

"The true advantage that late-season fertilization provides to turfgrass root growth is realized during the following spring. It has been shown that the root growth of turf fertilized during the late-winter/early spring declines soon after nitrogen application (3 & 5). Conversely, turf fertilized using the late- season concept becomes green early and rapidly, without the need for an early spring nitrogen application, and root growth continues at a maximum rate. It appears that the excessive shoot growth encouraged by early spring nitrogen applications utilizes carbohydrates that may otherwise be used for growing roots."