Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Check out the Gorilla lift. I have one on a 7 ft heavy duty gate and it helps alot. I doubt I could even lift the gate without it.
I fitted a couple of gas struts to the tailgate, was only $40 aussie for the struts and made up/welded brackets for nothing. lift 100kg with 1 finger

speed feed heads are excellent, saves a couple minutes per day easily from the manual feed heads.

if you do the edging after mowing, you will save time as your only edging whats necessary, also you will achieve the same level of trimming as your cut height with mower.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure the veterans here already know this, but when blowing clippings near a garage door, aim the nozzle up a couple of feet and pointed at the door. The clippings will blow away from the door rather than under it.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep a spare edger blade on the truck and a flat head shovel, comes in handy when you pick up a new account that hasn't been edged in awhile. Then put the 1/2 wore out blade back on. A good edger blade saves time and headaches.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

If you mow heavily thick grass, raise the deck 1/2 inch and mow over it again the other direction to cut up and disperse clippings better so they disappear, works great with my stander and saves your back from emptying the metal bagger!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
Keep a spare edger blade on the truck and a flat head shovel, comes in handy when you pick up a new account that hasn't been edged in awhile. Then put the 1/2 wore out blade back on. A good edger blade saves time and headaches.
Might be a rookie question but I've always used a weed eater to edge, last year i got a stick edger. Basically once the blade starts to get rounded off is it done or is there a way of sharpening them?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
Might be a rookie question but I've always used a weed eater to edge, last year i got a stick edger. Basically once the blade starts to get rounded off is it done or is there a way of sharpening them?
You don't sharpen them, you'll know you need to change the blade, it doesn't cut well when it gets too short.

Edging with weed eater does work well after it has been done the first time and your just doing routine maintenance. Weed eater doesn't work to effective cutting the sod off driveways after it has been neglected for some time. Its to hard to find the edge of the driveway or sidewalk and you'll eat a spool of line up before you know it on the tough stuff. Keeping a good uniform straight line is also difficult with the weed eater if it hasn't been done for awhile.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if it's a tip or not, but teach your guys how to trim and walk at the same time. I had a college guy last year for who knows what reason couldn't seem to trim and keep a walking pace. It was walk two steps, stop, trim, walk two steps, stop trim.... He really killed productivity. If you're not constantly moving and mowing/trimming, you're costing time and money.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

tell your men when they are trimming to not keep it revved up to the max the whole time they are trimming. itll tear up faster. i told my guy when hes trimming to never keep it at a constant rpm. Always pump the trigger. Its hard to explain just in words though...but im sure yall know what im saying.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 04-26-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
tell your men when they are trimming to not keep it revved up to the max the whole time they are trimming. itll tear up faster. i told my guy when hes trimming to never keep it at a constant rpm. Always pump the trigger. Its hard to explain just in words though...but im sure yall know what im saying.
I was taught the exact opposite lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I usually keep my RPMS the same, never had a problem either. Trimmer still runs great....
Posted via Mobile Device