Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
tell your men when they are trimming to not keep it revved up to the max the whole time they are trimming. itll tear up faster. i told my guy when hes trimming to never keep it at a constant rpm. Always pump the trigger. Its hard to explain just in words though...but im sure yall know what im saying.
The logic to this is flawed. Every time you open the throttle you create a momentary lean condition. Lean conditions cause higher temps and greater wear. Back in the day when they had screws, you could richen them a bit. Fuel is part of the way a 2 stroke cools itself. Are you sure you don't feathering the throttle?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2013, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
tell your men when they are trimming to not keep it revved up to the max the whole time they are trimming. itll tear up faster. i told my guy when hes trimming to never keep it at a constant rpm. Always pump the trigger. Its hard to explain just in words though...but im sure yall know what im saying.
I tell my guys the exact opposite
Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
An ice scraper is what us northern guys use to get the ice off of the windshields in the morning..... It's pure coincidence that it is a perfect deck scraper!
Putty knife works great too
Scag VRIDE
Scag Rider
Stihl BR600's
Stihl wackers/hedge trimmers
Little Wonder Vac/Walk behind blower
Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Teach your trimmer helper to trim and edge along the walkways and driveways FIRST so that when you get done mowing, you can blow everything off while he's still trimming around the trees and beds.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I was always taught when trimming to keep the throttle at half. When edging go all out if need be
Old 04-27-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I don't know if it's a tip or not, but teach your guys how to trim and walk at the same time. I had a college guy last year for who knows what reason couldn't seem to trim and keep a walking pace. It was walk two steps, stop, trim, walk two steps, stop trim.... He really killed productivity. If you're not constantly moving and mowing/trimming, you're costing time and money.
YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Can't add much that already has been said, some good everyday tips here! I don't mow wet grass, unless on the rare occasion I get caught in an unforeseen shower. Nothing like spending extra time cleaning decks, blowing off wet sidewalks, and clump laden lawns for the same money. I'd rather be behind schedule then deal with that mess. That wet, nasty tall grass will be there another time, when its dry.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Carry coppertone sport aerosol sunscreen goes on in 15 seconds and dries quick because nobody has time for sunburn.

also carry purel hand sanitizer, apply liberally to legs, arms and hands after trimming if you hit poison ivy or think you did it will prevent you from getting poison ivy.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Surely everyone does it but no one mentioned it... Carry a 5 gallon bucket and a dot grabber on mowers while mowing big properties to pick up trash, pine cones, rocks, etc... Keeps the operator from having to get on/off mowers and engaging/disengaging blades.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I scrub the sidewalks with a mix of 1 part lime 3 parts sand and a brush on a long handle. Wet it first, scrub then rinse it. The lime and sand that washes in along the sidewalk keeps the dirt from sticking to the pavement and greens the sod. Don't blow it all over the Camaro. Here is another, when you edge a zoysia lawn, throw the scraps in a bucket and plug a trouble spot somewhere else, or use as a nurse crop.